Deep 6 Sidemount Regulator Package - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received my Deep 6 Sidemount Regulator package today. The initial portion of my review will obviously not include my dive experience on the regs, but once I dive them I will update to include my report on that.

Ordering / Customer Service Experience

I had some questions prior to my order. I called up and got to speak with Chris. I had asked him about the new part for the DIN version of the 1st stages; the part that would reduce o-ring loss. Chris told me that the parts had come in and he would install it prior to shipping my order. Also asked some Eddy fin questions, to which he helped me pick a size (the correct one too it would seem.)

Overall, great experience. Chris was helpful and answered all my questions. Placed the order and it was shipped the next day. Only minor hiccup, I never received an e-mail shipping notice but I did see the status on the webpage, so no big deal.

Unboxing

Package arrived as expected. I knew it was going to be good when I saw the bright orange packing tape sealing the box. When I opened the box I found my Eddy fins, an orange Pelican style case, a coffee mug and tee shirt. Way to go on the free swag!

I wont talk too much about the Eddy fins as this is a review of the regulators. But everything came packaged up nice and neat. Opened up the hard case and there were the regs. They even came per-assembled. One minor ding here: I'm not sure what sort of voodoo black magic the guys at Deep 6 used to get my regs to fit into that case, however, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to get them back into it. The case is great and seems sturdy, however, it's a bit small for two full reg sets including a 7' hose and the 2" brass and glass SPGs.

Initial Impressions

The regulators just have this awesome feel about them. The first stage feels solid, the coating on it is aesthetically pleasing and feels like it will be very resistant to dents, dings, and scratches. The second stage also feels great. It's got some weight to it, but it's not overly heavy; it feels sturdy and well built. The knobs for the adjustment have a smooth but distinct motion.

The look and feel of the regulators is amazing. My previous regulators were Hollis DC1/212; while they worked well they felt cheap and flimsy. That is NOT the case with the Deep 6.

I hooked them up to my tanks for a quick test. These regs breath amazing.....even dry. They are smooth and easy to draw from, however, as soon as I stopped breathing they sealed up. No leaks, no mess, just perfect delivery of gas when I wanted it.

I am SUPER excited to get these bad boys into the water and give them a dive. Once I get them wet I will report back on their performance. But I can say, if they live up to my initial impression I will be PROUD to recommend Deep 6 to my friends.

Update: Regulator performance.

Got to dive my regs and I must say I am in love. These regs are super easy to breath. Gas when you want it, stops when you don't. Didn't have any free flow issues at all.

Overall I couldn't be more satisfied. Excellent regs, excellent customer service, excellent price! 10/10.

I may be going sidemount soonish and because I have HOG D2 for my back twinset, they're no good for sidemount. So I may just order a whole set of sidemount regs from Deep 6. Cheers for the review! What size hoses and spgs did you take?

I went with an 84" for my long hose and 30" for my short hose. 9" LP inflators and 6" HP hoses with 2" brass/glass SPG.

My pleasure! Can't wait to show these regs off to more of my dive buddies.

Hi, I purchased my deep 6 reg for my week long wreck dive vacation in the Florida keys. I logged 9 dives on my beautiful new regulator. All dive were in the 100-140 foot range. The regulator is sweeter. Breathes so smooth. Good pricing. It is not worth buying a used regulator on the scuba boards( no warranty and need rebuilt). This is good quality breathes nicer than our scuba pro and atomic. Good job Chris.

Hi, I purchased my deep 6 reg for my week long wreck dive vacation in the Florida keys. I logged 9 dives on my beautiful new regulator. All dive were in the 100-140 foot range. The regulator is sweeter. Breathes so smooth. Good pricing. It is not worth buying a used regulator on the scuba boards( no warranty and need rebuilt). This is good quality breathes nicer than our scuba pro and atomic. Good job Chris.
Thanks, happy to hear you enjoyed it.

while there is nothing that I found about these regulators to be "mind-blowing" because frankly there isn't a whole lot that can be done, what really sets these regs apart is the little things.

Chris is a regulator guru, the new poppet in the second stage actually makes a slight, but meaningful difference over the traditional poppet designs. The case has some other small upgrades that just make it breathe that much better than the competition.

What is more important to me is that he went out of his way to make the "little things" count.
The finish on the metal parts just feels better than anything else on the market. He went above and beyond with HOG, but went that much farther with these things.
The soft parts aren't all the traditional materials that everyone has been using for 60 years but he went the extra step to make sure that he was using better and more robust materials to help extend that service interval and minimize the risk of failures.
The different color options which increases his inventory requirements and manufacturing costs, but allows the divers to have the little bit of personal touch *for those of us that have an inherent dislike of the color orange due to college rivalries... :p*.
The hard regulator case, which you may never use for the regs, but is infinitely useful in a dive kit. They went that extra little bit to make sure that you at least have a way to keep them safe when you travel instead of just shipping them to you in a cardboard box with some styrofoam that you'll throw away.
Throwing in the first service for free from the guys that designed this thing. The new business model means that a lot of shops may flat out refuse to service these regs and while many of the customers will choose to service them ourselves *where the first service kit included is a huge bonus*, those that aren't comfortable doing so, know they have a reliable way to get them serviced from the guy that sold it to them.

Those are the things that really set these regs apart from their competition, but they're able to back it up with some phenomenal breathing characteristics to make sure that you aren't compromising on anything with them.

Back
Top Bottom