Deep 6 Gear Excursion DC: what would you change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tangent posts just got deleted by the mods which IMO was the best solution.

I must’ve missed it. Thanks for the back-up light, brother.

I must’ve missed it. Thanks for the back-up light, brother.

Lol... I must've too. I've been checking in and I didn't see nothing. Scubaboard ninjas around here.

[snip]
I think it's an interesting spot for the Excursion. It came out, was hailed as a great 1st dc (still is I suppose) but it was overshadowed some by the Peregrine directly afterwards. What better way to bring this back into the light as the 1st ever "inexpensive" trimix computer. It would fill a niche (I think). The last thing anyone wants to hear when they start thinking about tech is "you need 2 outrageously priced dc's"..... "just in case".
[snip]
And Shearwater could likely have the Peregrine functionally equivalent to a Perdix (sans AI and compass) with a simple recompile of the firmware with the appropriate options enabled since they are on the same basic codebase. Far less effort than developing and testing tech support for the Excursion.

As a sidebar, I am cursorily curious about (and would not be the least bit surprised) if the Peregrine processor and memory is more capable than that in the Perdix given the difference in introduction date. Leaving some headroom for the future ...

Dang you, @rob.mwpropane …. you’ve got me pondering now.

What would we fit into the screen?

Let’s chop down the data and keep it simple.

What is the essential info on the base screen and the first screen to scroll to?

Important that we not try to replicate the Perdix.

And Shearwater could likely have the Peregrine functionally equivalent to a Perdix (sans AI and compass) with a simple recompile of the firmware with the appropriate options enabled since they are on the same basic codebase. Far less effort than developing and testing tech support for the Excursion.

As a sidebar, I am cursorily curious about (and would not be the least bit surprised) if the Peregrine processor and memory is more capable than that in the Perdix given the difference in introduction date. Leaving some headroom for the future ...

I don't own a Peregrine, I actually thought it could do gas switches. I thought it was a perdix minus AI and compass... but I never looked into owning one, so I don't know.
I'm not a coder, I don't know what it would take to change the firmware. (common theme here... I don't know much:)). The thread was about hypothetically updating the firmware in the Excursion to do trimix, and since I DO own an Excursion I'm digging it.

Does it make sense as a company, Idk. Is it hard, Idk... would it be cooler to have my dc do trimix than not...yes, yes it would.

Dang you, @rob.mwpropane …. you’ve got me pondering now.

What would we fit into the screen?

I guess keep it simple. Next stop and deco time remaining? Doesn't have to be super fancy, at least not to me. If I'm to the point where shtf, then I'm looking for an exit. I need something to keep me sane in order to do so...yeah?

Edit: and of course depth, I guess gas selection?...sh!t...running out of room fast, LOL

I ran out to get my wife’s Excursion and my Perdix to make sure I didn’t overlook something.

I think if firmware is under consideration then a manual scroll feature could be developed to break up data between three screens. Like my running and swimming watches, the data could be set to scroll automatically.

Agree with @Thunder Struck - we could probably save a small amount of space deleting the decimal on the current depth.

Probably best to keep it to four fields making it easier on both programmers and divers to use larger text.

No compass.

First screen:

DEPTH
RUN TIME
CURRENT GAS
TTS

Second screen:

DEPTH
NEXT STOP
TAS (time at stop)
PPO2

Third screen:

DEPTH
GF Hi / GF Lo
TEMP
STOPWATCH

Screen One is where you change gas from backgas to decompression gases. Hold down the Mode button until the current gas blinks, use the Up and Down buttons to rotate through until what you need is highlighted, press Mode button to select.

Screen Two comes up and stays up if you violate your PPO2 thresholds until you either confirm for the DC that you’re assuming the risk or adjust your depth to bring the PP back down within thresholds.

I ran out to get my wife’s Excursion and my Perdix to make sure I didn’t overlook something.

I think if firmware is under consideration then a manual scroll feature could be developed to break up data between three screens. Like my running and swimming watches, the data could be set to scroll automatically.

Agree with @Thunder Struck - we could probably save a small amount of space deleting the decimal on the current depth.

Probably best to keep it to four fields making it easier on both programmers and divers to use larger text.

First screen:

DEPTH
RUN TIME
CURRENT GAS
TTS

Second screen:

DEPTH
NEXT STOP
TAS (time at stop)
PPO2

Third screen:

DEPTH
GF Hi / GF Lo
TEMP
STOPWATCH

Well shoot, if there's a function to go between multiple screens that are user definable then I'd be stoked.... sure why not, we're talking hypotheticals of coding and what we want. I like all your suggestions. I wouldn't want a "perdix" either, just looking for a simple backup that works across the board (that I don't have to take a loan out for, lol).

Going back to the original thread I remember hearing that folks wanted something that would tell them their total deco obligation before they even get to the stop. I can see this working out to be troublesome as it can easily lend itself to folks thinking they are now capable of deco diving.

All the other dive computers do that. After NDL is exceeded they show time to surface and the ceiling.

Somebody will want a rate of ascent indicator. Have to probably figure out where to stick that.

I think the @ + 5 and the delta + 5 are superfluous.

CNS…nope.

DET…nope.

GF99…hmmm, probably a good idea if the Excursion II is intended to be a safety net DC. Folks might want to gauge the aggressiveness of a compressed schedule (no pun intended).

No AI….that’s extra….check your gauges all you posh technophiles.

Man, I’m a regular chameleon….I’ve gone from poo-pooing this thing to hoping I get to be there for the baby’s birth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom