Dedicated Strobe for anchor line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On a recent dive with lower than usual visibility, one of the divers attached a strobe light to the appropriate anchor line (there were several and we were over 80 ft from the surface). I've searched but don't see a recent thread on this topic. What item would you suggest for this purpose?

I've looked at various suppliers, but none of the affordable options ($75 USD or less) have great reviews.

Suggestions?

Subscribed. I've used Tektite strobes for this for years, but haven't had great luck with them (probably on my 4th or 5th). I don't recall ever flooding one, but I have had several of the strobe light heads just stop working for no apparent reason. Maybe the new LED ones are more reliable? The older ones I have certainly look like they have a lot of fragile/complex parts in there.. Could be excessive jerking around and banging into the chain causes them to fail prematurely.

On the expensive side I have a couple of THESE that I was an extremely early adopter for. As in using google translate to talk to the Poles and getting them straight from there. They kick ass in murky New England water and I've traveled all over the world with them and taken them down to 200ft without a problem. The oldest one is maybe 4 years old and working great.

On the cheap end I use THESE which arent nearly as great and dont have the punch of the trojans but are super cheap and i can drop them liberally in wrecks as needed.

A friend of mine recently bought the new light monkey strobe. We dive with thick gloves up here and his only complaint was around the lockdown screw being a pain with gloves on.

The Trojan classic is brilliant, built like a tank and very bright. I think they have a deal going on them at the moment.

I have buddies with both the Trojan and Ligjt Monkey strobes and they all love them over the Tektites. I personally replaced my tektite with a LM one but it hasn’t been wet yet

On a recent dive with lower than usual visibility, one of the divers attached a strobe light to the appropriate anchor line (there were several and we were over 80 ft from the surface). I've searched but don't see a recent thread on this topic. What item would you suggest for this purpose?

I've looked at various suppliers, but none of the affordable options ($75 USD or less) have great reviews.

Suggestions?
I think it depends on whether you want to find teh line up or identify which of many lines are yours.. for the latter the tec lights are a good choice. I just bought a light monkey strobe I think and it has twice the output than the light monkey does 8000 compared to 4500. but that is used as a beacon and not an identifer. If you are going to use it on a ship then a rag tied to the line works so a minimal out put light is fine because you know the general location of your upline. Now if you want to find the ship to get to your line then that is a different matter.

The Trojan Classic II is $239.

The Light Monkey BAF is $249.

Which one is brighter?

Back
Top Bottom