decompression sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraC

New
Reaction score
My father had suffered a terrible case of unexplained decompression
sickness while diving 3 1/2 years ago. After 17 treatments in a
hyperbaric chamber he has had many remaining neurological problems. He
complains of the feeling of pins and needles in his feet and legs and
muscle cramps and spasms throughout his body. What is more discouraging
is that that the symptoms move around his body and do not show a
consistent pattern in appearance so his problems have been difficult to
treat .

Many years back my father had the varicella herpes zoster virus. Could
traces of this virus have anything to do with the inability of his
nervous system to recover from decompression sickness? Or could his body
have a mineral imbalance? Do you have any suggestions of any other
underlying problems to look for? He has been tested for all of the major
neurological diseases.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thank you very much.

Laura Cleary

Dear Laura C:

Residual DCS

I do not have any personal experience with refractory DCS symptoms, and I hope that some clinicians will be able to add something to this response. I am assuming that there was a period of time (possibly a few days) between the decompression event and the treatment. This would account for the poor outcome of treatment. [It is also possible that your father was paralyzed and, considering this, the outcome was really quite good.]

Neurologist’s Consultation :doctor:

I am also guessing that he has consulted a neurologist. It is always a possibility that the decompression incident was an “epiphenominon.” That is, something else occurred at the same time as the DCS, and that he has some other disorder.

There are neurological disorders that result from so-called “latent viruses.” I do not believe that the virus you mentioned would produce this problem. [Some researches believe that multiple sclerosis, for example, is caused by a latent virus.]

Let us see what other responses we will receive on this BOARD. I wish your father well in the future.

Dr Deco

DCI is not the cause of all these symptoms. DCI left untreated for days may lead to tissue injury including strokes of different levels of severity. These deficits can be permanent and leave various signs and symptoms thereafter.

As Dr. Deco mentions, a specific problem like this needs to be addressed by a neurologist in person with the patient.

LauraC once bubbled...
My father had suffered a terrible case of unexplained decompression
sickness while diving 3 1/2 years ago. After 17 treatments in a
hyperbaric chamber he has had many remaining neurological problems. He
complains of the feeling of pins and needles in his feet and legs and
muscle cramps and spasms throughout his body. What is more discouraging
is that that the symptoms move around his body and do not show a
consistent pattern in appearance so his problems have been difficult to
treat .

Many years back my father had the varicella herpes zoster virus. Could
traces of this virus have anything to do with the inability of his
nervous system to recover from decompression sickness? Or could his body
have a mineral imbalance? Do you have any suggestions of any other
underlying problems to look for? He has been tested for all of the major
neurological diseases.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thank you very much.

Laura Cleary

Thanks Dr. Deco and the others for your replies.

I suppose I was lacking critical information in my first posting. My father has seen two neurologists and both were unable to find the cause of his problems, partially because they both felt they did not have a superior knowledge of DCI. One thing that has been mutually agreed upon by all is that the decompression illness caused an additional problem. What the secondary problem is still remains a mystery.

Dad has been tested for MS, Lupus and ALS. A neurologist suggested that he may have Stiffman's syndrome but his symptoms are not at all similar to a typical case. The latest suggestion is that he could have ICDS. Does this make sense?

I'm not looking for an exact medical diagnosis, just suggestions of something that may have been missed. We live in the Chicago area. Are there any recommendations of a physican my father could see?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Your physicians are right to say that the DCI caused another problem, because the DCI is pretty much over with. At this point, focusing on DCI will not provided the situation with an answer.
I would get another neurologist's opinion, someone who is faculty at a medical school. If that physician is stumped, there is little else anyone can offer.

You could ask for a hyperbaric physician consultation to obtain an opinion to set the neurologists mind at ease.

At some point all ff should be done based on those symptoms to start:

MRI
EEG
Nerve conduction velocity
'health screen' profile laboratory test
CBC with differential

I presume all the above are normal, based on what you've posted.

Good luck and hope for the best.

LauraC once bubbled...
Thanks Dr. Deco and the others for your replies.

I suppose I was lacking critical information in my first posting. My father has seen two neurologists and both were unable to find the cause of his problems, partially because they both felt they did not have a superior knowledge of DCI. One thing that has been mutually agreed upon by all is that the decompression illness caused an additional problem. What the secondary problem is still remains a mystery.

Dad has been tested for MS, Lupus and ALS. A neurologist suggested that he may have Stiffman's syndrome but his symptoms are not at all similar to a typical case. The latest suggestion is that he could have ICDS. Does this make sense?

I'm not looking for an exact medical diagnosis, just suggestions of something that may have been missed. We live in the Chicago area. Are there any recommendations of a physican my father could see?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom