Decompression illness, nitrogen narcosis, and diving related emergencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, my name is Jim Tarro and I'm pretty much a brand new diver. I'm also a firefighter and an EMT. Currently I'm in Paramedic school (done in may thank god :)) and I am doing a presentation on diving related emergencies. I am looking to hear from anyone that has experienced a diving related emergency such as decompression illness or a persistant nitrogen narcosis to get first hand information for my presentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"persistant nitrogen narcosis"

What's that?

Narcosis goes away as soon as the pressure is reduced (ie ascending). You cant get narc'd at depth and continue to be so on the surface as a result.

If you want first hand accounts of decompression illness, google for Richard Pyle. He got it spectaculary and wrote about it.

Medic0506:
Hey, my name is Jim Tarro and I'm pretty much a brand new diver. I'm also a firefighter and an EMT. Currently I'm in Paramedic school (done in may thank god :)) and I am doing a presentation on diving related emergencies. I am looking to hear from anyone that has experienced a diving related emergency such as decompression illness or a persistant nitrogen narcosis to get first hand information for my presentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Become a member of DAN and get access to the dive accident reports for last several years...

Paul in VT

String, I heard about persistant nitrogen narcosis from a local doc (can't remember his name for the life of me). Not really sure how that works either. He had just mentioned it in a conversation and I didn't want to sound like an idiot so I waited until I got home to look it up. I couldn't find anything. Thanks for the name to look up. Found some great info on him.

Ive never heard of it and certainly not seen any proposed mechanism for how it can possibly happen either. Id be suspicious unless there are concrete references around. He could just be plain wrong.

String:
"persistant nitrogen narcosis"

What's that?

The way I've seen some divers act in shallow water or on the boat, you would think they were still Narced.

Sometimes the same symptoms can occur with something called "Tech Eela":wink: . Ask Fish Wisperer as I think he started a thread on the subject, but called it Tequilla:D ?

Medic0506:

Type 1 DCS in the joints hurts like the devil and I cannot remember anything from while I am narced. Do a search for JT Barker, a Va Beach VA tech guy who took a heck of a vestibular whack and wrote abote it on his web page

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom