deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The thread from mexico-cozumel relates a diver who had decompression sickness with a fast accent, I believe. He needed repeated chamber visits. Do you agree with the diagnosis and treatment.
Thanks

You may want to post a link to that thread my friend............

Hello Readers:

DCS Case

When I read this, it appears that a DCS incident did occur, since it responded to recompression. That is not proof positive, since oxygen will also held some problems independently of pressure.

This is probably a case of arterialization of venous gas bubbles. A period of time, post depress, is required for bubbles to appear and accumulate in the venous return (vena cava). The conditions for arterialization are therefore better after a period of time – such as ½ hour. It is possible that there was simply a lung bubble overload, and arterialization occurred though the pulmonary vasculature (blood vessels).

It is also possible that some condition helped to force the bubbles through the lungs, or helped to arterialize through a PFO. This could have been a Valsalva maneuver or the equivalent. Valsalva-like maneuvers are coughing, sneezing, holding your breath while you strain to do something (e.g., lifting something). :06:

DECO Meters

I seriously doubt that this would have been prevented by any meter or table on the market. This appears to be one of those unfortunate deco situations. If it was an arterialization problem, the question might be, why there were many venous bubbles? (Although it does not require a lot, only that some bubbles be present).

Possible there was a lot of gas uptake (swimming on the bottom a great deal) or there was excessive activity reboarding the boat inducing bubble formation.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Back
Top Bottom