Deco stop weird with mission one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oezkan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Divers,

I went into deco today with my atmos mission one computer. It showed 6m 2'. That means (written in the instructions) I have to stop at 6 meters for 2 minutes. But when I slowly ascended from 39 meter to about 12 meter (it was around 10-15 meter somewhere) my deco Already cleared. When I than later ascended to 6 meter it only showed the usual 3 minutes safety stop. So does that mean my computer is faulty or is that normal? The instruction even sais stay at that depth not above or below.

I'm guessing that by slowly ascending you were clearing deco as you went up. When you went into deco, the computer was telling you that if you ascended now (at a "normal" ascent rate), you'd have a 2 minute stop at 6m. You were off-gassing as you ascended, and by the time you reached that 10-15m mark you had cleared the deco obligation.

Depending on your profile it could be normal.

The 2' at 6m is required if you ascend at the computers max ascent rate directly form 39m to 6m. But if instead you ascend much slower than that - stopping to look at critters along the way - the deco obligation can clear because of your slow ascent.

I've personally seen this in a dive where I ascended slowly along a wall from about 38m (with a 4 min deco obligation) to the surface over about 30 minutes. Deco obligation cleared well before we got to 6 m.

Edit - looks like I'm third with the same answer.

Amazing thank you guys! I thought so too that this is normal. But because the instruction say not to stay below or above the 6m it sounded like it shouldn't have cleared before. So yes, from 39 I went to about 20, stayed at that depth a long time, than to about 12 meter to stay there again a bit longer. By than it was cleared. At 6 M only safety stop needed.

And yes I am trained to do deco. I'm divemaster now and last week I got my tec40 too. But I never went into deco with this computer before.

Amazing thank you guys! I thought so too that this is normal. But because the instruction say not to stay below or above the 6m it sounded like it shouldn't have cleared before. So yes, from 39 I went to about 20, stayed at that depth a long time, than to about 12 meter to stay there again a bit longer. By than it was cleared. At 6 M only safety stop needed.

And yes I am trained to do deco. I'm divemaster now and last week I got my tec40 too. But I never went into deco with this computer before.
What computer did you do you Tec40 class with? Just out of interest, what GFs do you dive? I think any computer would clear a short deco obligation with a sufficiently slow ascent. My 12 year old Oceanic VT3 behaves very similarly to my Shearwater Teric. There is a good reason you got 3 responses within minutes of your post.

As others stated, normal. Decompression doesn't suddenly start at the ceiling the computer states. It is a massive amount of variables, some are still not well understood. The fast tissue that loaded quickly that gave you the ceiling, also unloaded quickly before you reached the ceiling.

What computer did you do you Tec40 class with? Just out of interest, what GFs do you dive? I think any computer would clear a short deco obligation with a sufficiently slow ascent. My 12 year old Oceanic VT3 behaves very similarly to my Shearwater Teric. There is a good reason you got 3 responses within minutes of your post.
I can't remember the exact name as it just was for hire at the dive centre. But it was a big mares computer. It didn't clear during ascend but I had to do the full deco stop at about 6 meter with that. I know that in general you clear it on the ascent, but what confused me are the instructions of the mission one. Because it literally says stay at 6 meter. So I was sure that this specific computer won't clear before as it says so. Gf means gradient factor = convertsm correct? Sorry my English isn't the very best. But if that's the case than I dive a very low gradient so got more time at the bottom

But good to know it is normal. I gonna dive the same spot today so let's see. Thanks for your help guys

I can't remember the exact name as it just was for hire at the dive centre. But it was a big mares computer. It didn't clear during ascend but I had to do the full deco stop at about 6 meter with that. I know that in general you clear it on the ascent, but what confused me are the instructions of the mission one. Because it literally says stay at 6 meter. So I was sure that this specific computer won't clear before as it says so. Gf means gradient factor = convertsm correct? Sorry my English isn't the very best. But if that's the case than I dive a very low gradient so got more time at the bottom

But good to know it is normal. I gonna dive the same spot today so let's see. Thanks for your help guys
Hmmmm. So you did a technical diving course where they did not teach you about decompression algorithms, gradient factors and a proper ascent strategy/planning? You dive a very low gradient to get more time at the bottom? I'm curious to your settings then because this doesn't really make sense. Not trying to bash you, but this just sounds a bit odd to me.

I would seriously suggest that yous all of the ongassers during deco club
check these seriously informative dudes out fast for the betterment of all

March 2012 – Doppler's Tech Diving Blog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom