Decision time, new BCD and if so which one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Dimension and usually have the pockets stuffed while DMing

The harness make it easy to adjust the weight between your shoulders and hips when you have a long walk to the shore entry.

The holders for your octo and guages on top of the pockets work very well - better than other BCDs I have used.

Sounds like Dimension is the way to go, flexible, light, put an inflator on for teaching. IF I were to put on an inflator hose would I use the hose to the I3 or just replace that longer hose with a hose to the inflator? I am thinking the latter is the way to go. And more standard weight pockets ..... nice
First, Dimension is available both with and without i3.
Good point, need for two inflator hoses hadn’t occurred to me. If you connector a standard inflator only, the i3 would still function to release air, but not to add. Would say keep the dust cap on the i3 connector, but still rinse after. The shoulder sleeve is different in the i3, so not 100% sure about accommodating a standard inflator at that point.

First, Dimension is available both with and without i3.
Good point, need for two inflator hoses hadn’t occurred to me. If you connector a standard inflator only, the i3 would still function to release air, but not to add. Would say keep the dust cap on the i3 connector, but still rinse after. The shoulder sleeve is different in the i3, so not 100% sure about accommodating a standard inflator at that point.

Ahh, so the avenue to take to kill all the birds at one time is Dimension. Dimension with Wrapture, still teach with inflator and save the money by not buying I3. Less mechanism fewer problems. Is it somewhat like a "hybrid"? Back inflate with some jacket stuff so when on the surface and teaching I won't be struggling to stay upright?

I love my Dimension and usually have the pockets stuffed while DMing

The harness make it easy to adjust the weight between your shoulders and hips when you have a long walk to the shore entry.

The holders for your octo and guages on top of the pockets work very well - better than other BCDs I have used.

So tell me, you use the I3 or inflator? When DM'ing you are good for students and it is also good for your trip diving? Sounds like Dimension is the way to go although Axiom with I3 is on sale and cheaper. Or, as one has said, new BCD doesn't increase bottom time. But the reason to get new is to satisfy dive shop "requests."

Ahh, so the avenue to take to kill all the birds at one time is Dimension. Dimension with Wrapture, still teach with inflator and save the money by not buying I3. Less mechanism fewer problems. Is it somewhat like a "hybrid"? Back inflate with some jacket stuff so when on the surface and teaching I won't be struggling to stay upright?
No, it is a back inflate and not a hybrid. The only hybrid Aqualung makes is the women’s Soul with Wrapture System. Go figure. Not that I really want yet another model in the line, but really? Hybrid is womens style only?

If the shop wants you to use gear they sell when you already have gear that works and is safe, why do you have to buy it? An ethical operation will let you use loaner gear or provide you with a BC to use. Making DM's buy gear when they already have serviceable gear just because it's a different brand is greedy.

Anytime I have used an assistant and wanted them in the gear I sell or recommend, I gave them or loaned them the gear at no cost.

I'm not going to make someone pay to be my billboard and conceivably improve my bottom line at their expense.

If the shop wants you to use gear they sell when you already have gear that works and is safe, why do you have to buy it? An ethical operation will let you use loaner gear or provide you with a BC to use. Making DM's buy gear when they already have serviceable gear just because it's a different brand is greedy.

Anytime I have used an assistant and wanted them in the gear I sell or recommend, I gave them or loaned them the gear at no cost.

I'm not going to make someone pay to be my billboard and conceivably improve my bottom line at their expense.

Good point! And I know the shop has rentals I could use. That's my ext discussion with the shop. Thanks

So tell me, you use the I3 or inflator? When DM'ing you are good for students and it is also good for your trip diving?

Mine is the regular Non-I3 model.

I use it for travel as well. It isn't all that compact to pack as the hip belt is stiff so I pack my clorhes in a mesh fin bag and wrap the belt around them.

I usualy dive in a drysuit, but for travel it is just fim wth a 3mm or just a rash guard.

I currently dive with an Oceanic Cruz BCD. Oh, maybe 12-15 years old. Still in excellent shape and i have it serviced annually. BUT, my mind tells me I should be looking for a new BCD whether "just because" or for better diving. I DM with a shop that doesn't do Oceanic but does offer Aqualung. So I'm pondering the Axiom or the Rogue. Axiom is comfortable especially since I have had back surgery and the Axiom rests on your hips instead of hanging from your shoulders. The Rogue is neat and lightweight but I wonder about longevity. At 68 I'll be diving at least another 5 years so what is the opinion out there? Time for new? If so, which does everyone like??

my opinion is at 68 you have a good 10 more years diving not 5. Thats my opinion

btw regarding your question, you sell scubapro and can buy that. I understand backplate and wing for teaching isnt ideal but why not a great bcd that is also great for travel? Scubapro Hydros Pro. It isnt backplate and wing, basically jacket with better inflate style no wraparound. Students wont look at it like what is that? its similar to jacket just nothing around your waist....

And bonus its something your shop would LOVE to sell a lot of. I learned OW with a guy who wore a very minimal backplate and wing with like a 12 pound size donut. It did nothing to confuse me. A hydros pro is a normal bcd just inflate in slightly different way. works same as jacket.

The hydros is dry as soon as you step out of water, it isnt positively boyant like normal bcds so less weight needed, you can add pockets on each side that connect and strap to the leg. Pockets that are larger than on most bcds. It has a two stage inflation so its almost ALWAYS more streamlined. It doesnt retain water like jacket bcds so has much much less post dive weight...the material is a sticky monprene so it wont slide around on your body even with a heavy large tank it stays put no side to side or up and down. it comes with a normal integrated weight pouch, and it also comes with a lightweight harness you can switch to for tropical diving. it also has an optional crotch strap to become like a bp/w but with the monprene you will never need it.

this bcd truly conforms to your body no matter the shape and stays put. the bonus again its a regular bcd but with wing inflate. I promise that will confuse no one, its not a backplate and wing.

its a bit more expensive but it will last you 20 years. Might as well get the best bcd for the rest of your diving career.

BONUS it is as flat as a pancake. Literally completely flat. has its own backpack which you can travel with and I put my bcd, two regulators, two dive computers, two masks, and a 3 mil full wetsuit in the backpack and carry it on planes to the philippines and mexico.

Regarding the Dimension i3, one of my instructor friends has one with the inflator hose mod for teaching. She never uses the lever any more, so I would advise against the i3

I chose the Axiom as a BCD for teaching entry level courses and pool work, and have been very happy with it. The pockets are big enough and it has some nice D ring placements for your smb and reel. t can handle big steels as well as Al80's so very happy with it.

When teaching I don't think back inflate gives you any advantages because at that level you some be as competent in a normal jacket as a back inflate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom