December questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Never been at this time but just booked a trip for Dec 7rh. Seeing water temps range from 77 to 81. Is that about right? If it's on lower end we may need more than our shorty. How busy is island during that time frame? We have never needed reservations for dinner before but usually go slow season. Current that time of year? Went in September and for a few days current was ripping. Windy? Sept was very calm but we do like a nice breeze. Any other suggestions for a Dec trip greatly appreciated. Tanks Bill and DeeDee

I go that week every, or every other year.
Over the last 5 years we've seen very mild current, 79 to 82f, and never a worry about waiting at restaurants. We have always had a decent breeze there

Seeing water temps range from 77 to 81. Is that about right? If it's on lower end we may need more than our shorty.
Haven't been to Bon that time of year but have been to CUR the past 3 Januarys and that is about the temp range we experienced. I dive a shorty or rash guard in the summer months. In Jan with temps down to 77-78 it could feel chilly, especially getting in and if the sun is not out. I have a mix of layers I put under my shorty, 1.5 mil shirt, Bare 2 mil hooded vest, Sharkskin hooded top.

I have been to Bon in December and with multiple dives per day one can certainly get cold. I personally wear a full 3 mm or even a 5 that time of year. Better to be too warm than too cold.I always take two wetsuits on tropical trips so that I always have a dry one to put on later in the day and/or for night diving.

It doesn't seem to get really busy until just before xmas. No reservation required for most restaurants; at least not the kind of places I frequent.

Hi @wildbill9

My wife and I spent 2 weeks on Bonaire in December 2017. During our visit, water temp was 81-83, mostly 82.

The coolest visit of our 4 in the last 2 1/2 years was this last April, water temp was 79-80, mostly 79. We always take a 5/3 mm hooded vest in backup to our 3 mm full suits, this was the only trip where we used them. If I knew it would be 79, I'd take my full 5 mm. Four to 5 hours underwater per day can really take the heat out of you

I was also there in December 2017 - (the first week) and my computer also recorded 81-83 and predominantly 82.
You shouldn't have a problem in early December getting into restaurants.

Hi @wildbill9

My wife and I spent 2 weeks on Bonaire in December 2017. During our visit, water temp was 81-83, mostly 82.

The coolest visit of our 4 in the last 2 1/2 years was this last April, water temp was 79-80, mostly 79. We always take a 5/3 mm hooded vest in backup to our 3 mm full suits, this was the only trip where we used them. If I knew it would be 79, I'd take my full 5 mm. Four to 5 hours underwater per day can really take the heat out of you

This is pretty much in line with our experience as well. We normally go in December (we'll be there the same week you will) and the water has always been typically in that same 81-83 range; when we were there in April this year, the temps were more in the 78-80 range. Other than the temps, there wasn't much difference in the conditions-breeze topside, little to no current, viz about the same, etc. I don't ever recall having any issues getting in at restaurants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom