Debating going on to Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edstewart

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just recently completed my Divemaster and after this I have realized just how few jobs are out there for us. Even though I currently live in Hawaii, jobs are close to impossible to get because everyone prefers you to be instructor level. I consider it my life's goal to travel and live in as many countries as I can while I am still young. I am debating whether I should go instructor or not and travel around working. I am not trying to get rich, but would like the option to save money for more dive trips.

Anyways my point being.. Where are the best places in the world to be an instructor? Is instructor training worth it since there isn't much money in diving? Where are places where the most people get certified?
Basically, what is the best next move?

Anyways my point being.. Where are the best places in the world to be an instructor? Is instructor training worth it since there isn't much money in diving? Where are places where the most people get certified? Basically, what is the best next move?

Get a job that pays well, doing something you like, then dive when you want, for fun.

I know a bunch of instructors and the only one that does it for a living, owns the shop. Eveybody else has a real job or is retired. Teaching SCUBA is not a good way to earn a living or see the world.

Also, FWIW, you can't work in most countries without a nearly-impossible-to-get work permit.

flots.

BS

I have lived and worked in Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. Egypt and Djibouti. New Zealand and the Maldives where I currently live. Legally I worked only in NZ and Maldives- Egypt was pretty grey and SE Asia was illegal.

As an employable diving instructor you can earn enough to live simply and see many countries. The work can be a lot of fun.... but there are still days when it is simply 'work'. The trick is to be employable and not JAFI (Just another F'n instructor). Language skills help immensely as do cross-over skills like mechanics, leadership positions, even IT.

The trap is that if you do this as a career, you have to look at it as a career and work your way in to a position where you're not JAIF after ten years in the game. THe natural progression is to manage and then own an operation, but there are other avenues for the savvy individual: photography, writing etc.

dont come to malaysia, these people who sign up for courses cant even swim! actually its very good training if you want to become a great instructor. great diving and cheap living make the low pay tolerable.

Most on SB would advise getting a fair bit of DM experience before doing Instructor. Interesting that apparently you pretty much have to be an instructor just to even do DM duties in a lot of the tropical places. Kind of leaves one no choice but to go right away to instructor (assuming you like to eat).

Get a job you like that pays. Then dive for fun.

dont come to malaysia, these people who sign up for courses cant even swim! actually its very good training if you want to become a great instructor. great diving and cheap living make the low pay tolerable.

and find loads of Nudis to take pictures of!

I joined the Air Force, and Army. I saw Texas, Cailifornia, Wyoming (90 miles from home), Oklahoma, Washington State and Oklahoma again, and then retired. That's it!
a few TDYs ( temporary duty assignments) to Texas, North Dakota, Kentucky and Hawaii. California again. Texas a whole bunch of times, San Antonio for a year total and Kileen for a few months.
Never overseas.
I begged to go to Honduras or even Kuwait. No go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom