Death in Sydney, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In one of the Sydney Facebook groups one of the people who was there say it was at the site known as 'The Steps' and they were diving with one of the Abyss groups diving there that day. One of the other people there said " Too early to say what happened but I heard he may have ran out of air and lung overexpansion ascending." There is nothing to indicate who they heard that from.

This spot is properly called Inscription Point and is on the southern side of Botany Bay. It is not particularly hard normally, maximum depth is about 15 metres but is affected at times by current and big swells. It is close to The Monuments where a well known contributor to Scuba Board died in 2013. The actual spot shown on Channel Nine News from the helicopter is not the normal entry/exit point, so it looks like they pulled him up at the closest spot.

Yesterday there were huge swells off Sydney (3 to 4.5 metres). On the northern side of Botany Bay the waves were smashing into Bare Island making it undiveable when I looked at it at about 9:30 am. At the same time Inscription Point looked relatively okay, although there may have been some wave action. The swell got worse as the day went on. A wave buoy just near the site, but a little more inside the bay, showed 0.5 to 1.0 metres at 12:30 pm. The tide was incoming so should have meant the current was behind for the second part of the dive.

Sad to hear of another diving death in my local area. My thoughts are with his family and friends and the people on the dive.

Further to above, on the weekend I had a friend dive on my boat and she had spoken to the person who did CPR. he said that the person did not run out of air, possibly had a heart attack or other medical episode, surfaced, tried to get up on the rock platform, was battered and fell back into the water. He then drowned. CPR diver found him and dragged up onto the rocks and commenced CPR.

Very sad episode, my thoughts are with the CPR diver as I know what it is like to have to do this.

Back
Top Bottom