Death at Utah's Crater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case I hope the resort wins the suit. The freediver was taking big risks in pushing himself without safety divers or other support. Just having a "lifeguard" on scene would probably not have helped. Its really unfortunate how our legal system is working (or not working). But, as everyone knows, Scubaboard is in the middle of a frivolous suit as well.

I hope someday, we will get to a point where people will take responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

Still reeling from the loss of their son, the Vandams are seeking at least $75,000 for medical and funeral expenses as well as emotional trauma.

Kinda makes you wonder if the class present during the accident could sue the family for the emotional trauma they endured from witnessing it.

I just posted this article in the lawsuit section. Didn't see this until after I had posted.

The family is also suing the Dive Instructor that loaned him the mask he used as well as the Instructor that dove in and rescued him. They were both finishing up with their classes when this all happened. I spoke with someone who was there. There were 3 medical doctors at the crater at this time as well in classes. There apparently was a lot of help.

I will be getting the full skinny from the individual that loaned him the mask tonight.

sad story for everyone involved, but when you go under water there is always a chance you may not surface again!

I just posted this article in the lawsuit section. Didn't see this until after I had posted.

The family is also suing the Dive Instructor that loaned him the mask he used as well as the Instructor that dove in and rescued him. They were both finishing up with their classes when this all happened. I spoke with someone who was there. There were 3 medical doctors at the crater at this time as well in classes. There apparently was a lot of help.

I will be getting the full skinny from the individual that loaned him the mask tonight.

Maybe a Mod can merge the two threads.

Are you sure that both Instructors have been named in a/the suit? Sad, sad, sad.
I met them both recently, we chatted about the incident and at that time it was still uncertain.
If they have it is doubtful you will get anymore information than you already know or have read. I'm sure their attorneys have requested they not comment on it.

Back
Top Bottom