Dealing with Lobster (Crayfish) while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

Was interested to know if anyone had any novel ideas or inventions (equipment) that improved the process of transporting Crayfish while scuba diving?

Basically, what I am getting at is that when free diving I use a float on the surface with a line I carry either attached to a speargun or drop weight. When you spot a Crayfish you simply leave the gun or weight next to it, swim up, grab a breath and come back down. Once the Crayfish is secured, swim back to the surface and string the tail on a snare attacked to the float.

For obvious reasons this technique does not work when scuba diving. Yes, there is the tried-and-true method of carrying a catch bag around but it always feels inconvenient.

Coming back to the original question does anyone have an alternative method they have found works when lobster/crayfish hunting while scuba diving or is carrying a catch bag really the best method?

.. Yes, there is the tried-and-true method of carrying a catch bag around but it always feels inconvenient....
Just note that different laws apply to different locations, but I have seen 2 methods used by spearos. In both cases they are placed where the tail meets the carapiece of the cray.

1) plastic zip ties. Guys will carry them on their weight belt lengthwise. Some use the 'release-able' plastic ties also

2)Using your flag line, you can form a "cleat hitch knot" in your hand underwater by twisting and then slide it over the cray's tail. You can string them up in a row on the line.

Just note that different laws apply to different locations, but I have seen 2 methods used by spearos. In both cases they are placed where the tail meets the carapiece of the cray.

1) plastic zip ties. Guys will carry them on their weight belt lengthwise. Some use the 'release-able' plastic ties also

2)Using your flag line, you can form a "cleat hitch knot" in your hand underwater by twisting and then slide it over the cray's tail. You can string them up in a row on the line.

I am not aware of the laws outside my own backyard. If its not possible to string them up below the float line having a 'float boat' is equally as effective if not more effective when spearfishing. Having borrowed a float boat a couple of times, despite being bigger they tow much easier and provide a great platform to have a rest on. My issue isn't when free diving thats easy as you just load them onto or into the float as you come up for air.

Interesting idea with the cleat hitch knot concept though. That would make sense as ascending a few meters before hitching them to the line would probably work pretty well while on a bottle. I could then maintain the setup with a drop weight as to not attach a line to my BCD. It might actually work better with some type of clip so that as your depth changes you can quickly adjust their location on the line if its starts to get shallower.

Thanks for that!

Hi,

Was interested to know if anyone had any novel ideas or inventions (equipment) that improved the process of transporting Crayfish while scuba diving?

Basically, what I am getting at is that when free diving I use a float on the surface with a line I carry either attached to a speargun or drop weight. When you spot a Crayfish you simply leave the gun or weight next to it, swim up, grab a breath and come back down. Once the Crayfish is secured, swim back to the surface and string the tail on a snare attacked to the float.

For obvious reasons this technique does not work when scuba diving. Yes, there is the tried-and-true method of carrying a catch bag around but it always feels inconvenient.

Coming back to the original question does anyone have an alternative method they have found works when lobster/crayfish hunting while scuba diving or is carrying a catch bag really the best method?

I know a lot of scuba divers who catch lobsters on scuba. All of them use a catch bag. That is the best method.

Carrying around a bunch of sharp and thorny lobsters is never "convenient". so the very best method is to buy your good dive buddy an excellent catch bag (that holds enough for two buddies).

Some version of this type of bag is probably most common in Florida.

https://www.amazon.com/Lobster-Inn-Bag-Zipper-Closure/dp/B0000DYNPU

Doesn't come out until required

full.jpg

Sometimes required amounts to aeons

Wouldn't be my 1st choice for a lobster bag. Complete mesh will get hung up, plus you will still get poked by the bugs. Find one with a solid vinyl side

Years ago in Hawaii I got a medium sized catch bag with integral quick release belt and full-length velcro closure. The upper 1/3 or so is solid fabric, the rest mesh. It stays worn rolled up until the first bug, and is big enough for several at once. I don't see anything like it online at the moment, but it does the trick if you can find something like it.

This is a similar style. Saw this just now on eBay.

s-l500.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom