Dealing with a mouthpiece with new braces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LStewart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any suggestions for making this as comfortable as possible? My wife (50 something) :) got braces a few months ago and we are diving next month. Any brand or style really good for that? Happy wife = happy life!

Thanks!

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I got a Seacure mouthpiece and molded it when I had my braces. Helped a lot, dove for 2 years like that.

Very timely, I just got braces last month, the first few dives were a bit strange but nothing that wasn’t manageable. I use soft mouth pieces from HOG.

I had braces 10 years ago, I couldn't imagine trying to keep a grip on a mouthpiece after getting them tightened/adjusted. That would make for some miserable dives no matter how soft the mouthpiece is.

Had braces on for a few months now and done a few dives with them on. Have tired a few different mouthpieces and found that as long as its a soft mouthpiece you should have no issues. Keeping a loose grip on the reg makes it more comfortable.

Well son of a gun !
Hope all is well !

My 12 year old granddaughter recently acquired braces - She and my son do a lot of free diving - snorkeling.
After the last big trip to the islands she was complaining of snorkel mouth -Yes that is an affliction from an ill fitting snorkel

Son purchased a modulable mouth piece for her and no more snorkel mouth.

Cheers from CenCal

SAM

Very timely, I just got braces last month, the first few dives were a bit strange but nothing that wasn’t manageable. I use soft mouth pieces from HOG.
Jay, how soon did you dive after getting your braces put on? My son is scheduled to get braces next Monday, and we will be in Cozumel to dive a few weeks later. Trying to decide if he should put off braces until after the trip, or if 3 weeks is enough adjustment time before diving?

I think it was a bout a week......it was manageable, not terribly painful just felt strange. But not difficult.

Back
Top Bottom