deal on HP steel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am seriously considering buying my own tanks (currently I rent). I might keep them as singles, or I might double some up (unsure).

For a variety of reasons I want to get HP steel, probably Worthingtons.

Leaving aside the issue of whether or not steel is right for me and what capacity I should choose, here is my question: where can I get a good deal on HP steel? I suspect that the answer might be very different from where you can get a good deal on HP steel - I live in Canada in a land-locked province which does not have nearly the diving culture that, say, FL and CA have. Local online lists are devoid of scuba gear. I am hesitant to buy used tanks from afar since I can't get them vis'd/hydro'd before paying for them. And all on-line shops that I have checked out have the exact same price for Worthington HP steel.

Any suggestions?

Why does it have to be Worthington?

Faber & PST are pretty common here in S. Fl. You could have the seller Hydro them for you... It's about $35 around here. Then you'll know that your good for the next 5 years and you're not getting worthless tanks. I have right now 2 LP 125s that are freshly hydroed, inspected & filled and have been o2 cleaned for oxygen service. asking 650 for the pair....

Why does it have to be Worthington?

It comes down the the durability of the exterior. I wouldn't say Never to a Faber tank, but all things being equal I'd get a Worthington. However, I'd like HP.

Perhaps the afar people could do that for you or already offer them that way.
Have bought over the years aluminium and steel sight unseen, seen but never looked inside, and on line never with a hydro although you may say we have yearly hydro's, many have been years out of test, because they are cheaper.
MY risk karma must be super charged NEVER lost a tank 40 or 50.
Disclaimer: I just realised I Have never bought a hp tank.

The Faber people hot gal spray for reasons they can explain and the under and topcoats are extremely hardy.

One of the benefits to buying used locally is side stepping personal shipping costs. Once you find a used cylinder from affar and deal with shipping and risk you really need to look at what money is left on the table. You may soon decide that a clean local sale of new goods is a nice way to go.

I have bougt a few locally used with good results but some have needed attention such as a bad boot that allowed damage to the galvanized finish on the bottom. A targeted sandblast/refinish , new boot, hydro & VIP latter it was in service.

Pete

I found my Worthington HP steel tanks on craigslist. I met the seller and we went to our LDS to have them checked. I got them about $100 off list. Less than 6 months old from original purchase. They were too heavy for him and his girl friend for hiking to the water. He even gave me the original receipt.

I'd buy from afar contingent upon the owner getting them hydro'd before shipping.
You'd have to get them viz'd because they probably won't ship them with any air in them and as we all know, once you bleed a tank down to nothing and don't fill it immediately, you have to get it viz'd.

These are all good points - thanks.

What I REALLY need to do is move to the Coast...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom