Dead fish @ lake Murray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dead Fish..........Hmmmmmmmm,
:shakehead:

I sure hope that isn't happening out at my Lake Murray.

This makes me sad. :(

It's that time of year. The Golden Algae bloom. Totally sucks. It is killing the fish at Possum Kingdom right now too. Kills the vis, the fish, everything.

Are ya sure it aint the Cheez-Whiz? :D

We were considering going diving out at Marietta's landing tomorrow... would you guys do it under these conditions? Is it that bad?

No, the Cheez Whiz, just makes sure they die fat and happy.

Are ya sure it aint the Cheez-Whiz? :D

Be nice Thomas !!!

We were considering going diving out at Marietta's landing tomorrow... would you guys do it under these conditions? Is it that bad?

Bryan,
I would not dive in these conditions. I love lake Murray. I love Marietta Landing. I diver there every chance I get 12 months out of the year. Trust me though. I have gone diving in conditions like this. I love the water; but simply is not any fun when you can't see your gauges 6 inches in front of your mask. You have to be able to see your gauges; no matter how much you like muck diving.

P.S. I am not suggesting that you can't see your gauges right now. I honestly don't know what the current vis is; but if you can't see your gauges, it is just no fun.

Well, I'm happy to report that if there was a fish kill, it may be over now... didn't see any dead fish anywhere, and there wasn't any stink. Water levels seemed higher than I've seen in awhile, and there were a ton of fish seemingly doing great greeting us at the dive platforms and the boats. The vis was meh... ranging from 3-15 feet. It started to get dark green at around 40 feet, so we hung around the shore for the most part.

The fish did seem hungry--they were happily munching my dive buddy's ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom