Dead fish @ lake Murray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking it might be just a bad report from some silly folks that had never been camping before.

Fish do just up and die in mass sometimes. I've seen it.

I have my Summer schedule starting in couple of weeks.
4 days on....... Fri-Sat-Sun off :cool2:

I bet I head up there pretty soon and check it out and see if there are any Crabs in the Trap. :wink:

You know... the channel marker buoy did seem to be much closer to the cove than I last saw it in October. We used it as a line to drop to 60' feet for a deep dive. That buoy seems now to be just inside the Marietta cove... did someone move it intentionally?

Hi all! I am very happy to file this report for Saturday, May 8, 2010:

Saturday was a beautiful day at Marietta. The sun was bright and the sky was blue! Air temperature was unrecorded but very comfortable with no wind.

Visibility in the water was averaging about 6 ft. In spots it opened up, in spots it was reduced to 6 inches. All in all, it was a typical Murray day. I never got below about 35 - 36 ft depth. Water temperature was a balmy 68 F. There was a bit of temperature shock getting in the water; but after 15 seconds everything seemed fine. It was a great dive! I would happily go do it again.

I didn't see or smell any evidence of any stinkin' fish kill (no pun intended - or maybe there is a pun there). The channel marker buoy that Bryan speaks of, it must have broken free from its' mooring 'cause it was floatin' in about 1 ft of water at a distance of about 3 ft from the beach entry point. I didn't stop to investigate.

There were lots of fish there to greet us divers. I had a formation of about 6 fish that flanked my every move on most of the dive. It looked to me that they were hungry. Every time I would reach down to grab a bottle, stick, rock, thing, trash, etc., there was a swarm of about 6 fish on the spot to greet whatever marine creature might crawl out from underneath. It was kind of interesting; but moreso, it was a little disturbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom