Dead DR HP50, time for upgrade. Help to decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traveling nomad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

My DR HP50 died last weekend. The led actually blew up. Took it apart and the led is cracked and missing the piece in the center.
I have ordered a new led and board to solder in but even if it works again, I wouldn't trust it as my primary, thus it will be relegated to be a backup (if it works again).

I think I have decided on a new UWLD LD40 as a new primary light, but I can't decide between the small or the tall battery canister.

I won't need the extra burn time of the tall, but then again, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

If anyone has experience with both of these canisters. How much of a difference is there between them?
Will I get annoyed by the extra bulk of the tall one or should I just go for it (buy once, cry once)?

I am only diving warm water so will not have to connect any heater.
My dives (currently) doesn't go over 1,5-2 hours (including deco) so the burn time of the small should be plenty.
But then again, the cost difference between them isn't significant so...

I'm thorn, please help me decide.

Hi all

My DR HP50 died last weekend. The led actually blew up. Took it apart and the led is cracked and missing the piece in the center.
I have ordered a new led and board to solder in but even if it works again, I wouldn't trust it as my primary, thus it will be relegated to be a backup (if it works again).

I think I have decided on a new UWLD LD40 as a new primary light, but I can't decide between the small or the tall battery canister.

I won't need the extra burn time of the tall, but then again, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

If anyone has experience with both of these canisters. How much of a difference is there between them?
Will I get annoyed by the extra bulk of the tall one or should I just go for it (buy once, cry once)?

I am only diving warm water so will not have to connect any heater.
My dives (currently) doesn't go over 1,5-2 hours (including deco) so the burn time of the small should be plenty.
But then again, the cost difference between them isn't significant so...

I'm thorn, please help me decide.
SM or BM? How are you mounting it?

Sounds like the "medium" is just right.
unfortunately they don't offer a medium version.
It's mini, short or tall.

I guess the short would be the medium.

Maybe I should also say that I frequently do more than one dive per day on a chartered boat for 2-3 days ( sleep on the boat) in a row with unpredictable charging opportunity (suppose that points towards a tall one?).

Also tips of how to route to cable is appreciated

unfortunately they don't offer a medium version.
It's mini, short or tall.

I guess the short would be the medium.

Ya think?

adjective: medium
about halfway between two extremes of size

I am diving a BM rebreather with SM bailout, as this would be my first can light, I'm not yet sure how I will mount it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Depending on unit/size of bailout bottles as well as your body size, I’d either run it on standard spot on right hip (but a few inches further forward to account for the cylinder width). Some mount the battery to their onboard dil or O2 bottles but it increases profile size. If you have a rack, it’s an easy place to put a light canister as well.

Depending on unit/size of bailout bottles as well as your body size, I’d either run it on standard spot on right hip (but a few inches further forward to account for the cylinder width). Some mount the battery to their onboard dil or O2 bottles but it increases profile size. If you have a rack, it’s an easy place to put a light canister as well.

Unit is a Pelagian DCCCR, without the their x-plate, using the metalsub attached instead with either al19 or al30 onboard, depends on the dive, so no rack.

Bailout bottle's are currently 2*al40, but expect this to grow to 2*al80, possibly plus a al40 on a leash. I don't see myself doing past that.

Back
Top Bottom