DCS lymphatic swelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarmWaterGal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Diagnosed with DCS after 2nd day of diving. Easy rec dives - no issues with dive profile or pre existing health conditions. A “fluke”. Did 2 sessions in chamber (table 6 then next day table 5). Last treatment 2 days ago. Thighs still swollen (thighs had skin bends plus had neurological issues - extreme limb weakness, vertigo, nausea). Am traveling back home tomorrow (72 hours after treatment). Any idea how long it may take leg swelling to resolve? It did get better after 2nd treatment but still noticeable and uncomfortable.

Just for learning purposes can you post the profiles from both of your dives?

all dives on air - Roatan. Water temp 80 degrees.
Day 1:
Dive 1 - max 75ft; avg 39 ft; 49 min
Dive 2 - max 80ft; avg 45ft; 51 min
Dive 3 - max 61ft; avg 45 ft; 51 min
Day 2:
Dive 1 - max 71ft; avg 47 ft; 47 min
Dive 2 - max 69 ft; avg 46ft; 51 min
Dive 3 - max 69 ft; avg 39ft; 53 min

All safety stops observed

The swelling may take a couple of weeks to completely resolve depending on how patent the lymphatic vessels remain after being injured.

How long after your dives did you notice the symptoms?

Best regards,
DDM

About 1 hour. But since I felt absolutely fine when sitting or laying down, thought I might just have ear problem causing dizziness and vertigo so I didn’t seek immediate treatment. During middle of night tried walking to bathroom and couldn’t barely make it a few feet - very weak shakey legs that I thought I would collapse. Again felt okay if sitting/laying down so waited until morning to seek treatment at the clinic. They put me on 100% oxygen and IV right away, then was in chamber within 2 hours. Lucky to have chamber on-site.

About 1 hour. But since I felt absolutely fine when sitting or laying down, thought I might just have ear problem causing dizziness and vertigo so I didn’t seek immediate treatment. During middle of night tried walking to bathroom and couldn’t barely make it a few feet - very weak shakey legs that I thought I would collapse. Again felt okay if sitting/laying down so waited until morning to seek treatment at the clinic. They put me on 100% oxygen and IV right away, then was in chamber within 2 hours. Lucky to have chamber on-site.

Thanks for the details. Just for posterity, PFO is associated with sudden-onset inner ear and neurological DCS and cutis marmorata (skin marbling), but not lymphatic DCS since the mechanism for that has nothing to do with arterialized gas bubbles. But, from the information you've provided, a case could be made for PFO testing. The question would then be how to interpret and act on the results in the context of your symptoms. If you do have a PFO, I would recommend that you follow up with a physician trained in examining divers. Not sure where in the great state of California you are, but if you're in the LA or San Diego area you have a number of options.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom