DCS and the Menstrual Cycle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Recently, I've been hearing from various sources that there is a relationship between the female menstrual period and susceptibility to Decompression Sickness. Now I don't know the exact details nor do I know how solid the science is behind this. I would love to hear or read more about this subject (what could be very important to those of us who are female and who dive) so anyone with further information, either anecdotal or serious science, please let us know.

Louie

Louie....I moved your thread to the Dr. Deco forum since it pertains to decompression.

Please give Dr. Deco a few days to respond as he may be traveling and/or not available for the Boards.

"Fitness and Diving Issues: Are women at greater risk of experiencing decompression illness (DCI) while menstruating? Theoretically, it is possible that, because of fluid retention and tissue swelling, women are less able to get rid of dissolved nitrogen. This is, however, not definitively proven.

One recent retrospective review of women divers (956 divers) with DCI found 38 percent were menstruating at the time of their injury. Additionally, 85 percent of those taking oral contraceptives were menstruating at the time of the accident. This suggests, but does not prove, that women taking oral contraceptives are at increased risk of decompression illness during menstruation. Therefore, it may be advisable for menstruating women to dive more conservatively, particularly if they are taking oral contraceptives. This could involve making fewer dives, shorter and shallower dives and making longer safety stops. Four other studies have provided evidence that women are at higher risk of DCI, and in one study of altitude bends, menses also appeared to be a risk factor for bends.

In general, diving while menstruating does not seem to be a problem as long as normal, vigorous exercise does not increase the menstrual symptoms. As long as the menstrual cycle poses no other symptoms or discomforts that affect her health, there is no reason that a menstruating female should not dive. However, based upon available data, it may be prudent for women taking oral contraceptives, particularly if they are menstruating, to reduce their dive exposure (depth, bottom time or number of dives per day). "

I also look forward to seeing these results.

At last year's British Hyperbaric Association conference the initial results of this study were presented suggesting that there does indeed appear to be an increased risk of DCI during certain stages of the menstrual cycle.

If I remember correctly the safest period was week three of the cycle and it was postulated that progesterone may have a role to play in this. The only reason I remember this was it occurred to me at the time, during a wild flight of fancy, that we may soon be seeing male divers using progesterone to protect them against DCI!! =-)
It seems likely that less women dive during week 4, when both progesterone and oestogen levels are lowest and an incidence of 38% during that part of the cylcle is certainly very high (One would expect and incidence of less than 25%)

Unfortunately, what was not absolutely clear from the interim findings was whether women were generally at a higher risk than men in any case.

Please do no not take this post too seriously!

Back
Top Bottom