DCI and hyperbaric chamber experience Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBDNP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a relatively new diver - have only 100 dives. Even though I thought I followed my profile, was diving 32% Nitrox, I took a neurological hit and ended up in the chamber.

Some thoughts
1. I am here in Cozumel traveling alone- my symptoms were vague - perioral numbness that progressed to tingling hands/feet and increasing dizziness and nausea--- Got to the Costamed Hyperbaric Chamber here in Cozumel and MD confirmed probable DCI and in I went for the Table 6 4:45 min experience and then to spend the night

2. The staff at Costamed Hyperbaric chamber which is a DAN facility were fantastic. I am a medical professional from NYC and could not have asked for better treatment. I would highly recommend them.

3. I spent the 5 hours trying to figure out what went wrong---only thing I could come up with is 4 days of diving with depths over 90 feet first dive, not a long enough SI between 1st and second dive. Biggest mistake was probably that I trusted when the divemaster said he analyzed my tanks and I did not look to see.

4. Future actions- will probably set my computer to 'air' to be on the safe side; will always double check the tanks; will always make sure that I have DAN insurance

How soon did the symptoms appear?

Are you stuck at the hospital? Do you need anything?

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

thanks for the post.
can you elaborate on what you mean by "followed my profile"?
what were your profiles?
what computer did you use?
how close to ndl did you get?

p.s. maybe this should be moved to accidents & incidents?

Always analyze your own tanks.. and always have dan! As far as setting to air I wouldn't bother but that's me I would however never dive a can of mystery meat

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I would never set my computer to air when on EANx - the partial pressures are very different and in the case of severe DCI hyperbaric medical staff should usually be downloading your dive profile from your computer to ascertain exactly what did go wrong. It will make their job potentially harder (and delay treatment) if equipment isn't being used correctly. EANx32 has a pp of 1.6 at 40m/130ft, most people do go for the more conservative pp of 1.4 for an extra safety margin (I hope that I am teaching you to suck eggs and do apologise) Air has a pp of 1.6 at just over 60m/200ft. BSAC limits air diving to 50m/160ft as an additional safety measure and to prevent divers incurring massive safety stops.

Sometimes, it is the nature of the beast in diving that these things will occur, no matter how safely we dive. I would recommend taking a day off every 4 days of diving, and making sure that my 4th day of diving is much easier and shallower than the 1st. Residual nitrogen build up is a pain in the proverbial!!

The main thing to take away is that you are alive and ok, and getting the correct treatment.

Happy diving

Oooh! Too bad! The people on the boat tell me the nitrox percentage is always right, and in fact it has been but I still check. Hope you recover quickly.

Hi

Perhaps I don't know verbiage
Have an oceanic Veo 2 - had it set to EAN 32%, set for pp 1.4 set with conservative factor. Down for 46 min max depth 96 feet -- don't think I got within 15 min of NDC during dive, followed safety stops, SI of 44 min (probably too short) second dive 55 feet for 62 min on EAN 32%
However on reflection of things that could have gone wrong--- did not analyze my tank (bad move--- I know it as I was taught better), was on 4th day of diving with first dives always greater than 90 feet - still thought was ok as only doing 2 dives a day, second dive always more shallow....
I am new to posting so will figure out how to move to accident and incidents?

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

started having numbness in left pinky finger during second dive. Thought it was because i had hit a sea urchin while swimming the day before
Only had to be at hospital overnight so am now recuping at hotel

Hi

Perhaps I don't know verbiage
Have an oceanic Veo 2 - had it set to EAN 32%, set for pp 1.4 set with conservative factor. Down for 46 min max depth 96 feet -- don't think I got within 15 min of NDC during dive, followed safety stops, SI of 44 min (probably too short) second dive 55 feet for 62 min on EAN 32%
However on reflection of things that could have gone wrong--- did not analyze my tank (bad move--- I know it as I was taught better), was on 4th day of diving with first dives always greater than 90 feet - still thought was ok as only doing 2 dives a day, second dive always more shallow....
I am new to posting so will figure out how to move to accident and incidents?

---------- Post added September 10th, 2015 at 08:24 PM ----------

started having numbness in left pinky finger during second dive. Thought it was because i had hit a sea urchin while swimming the day before
Only had to be at hospital overnight so am now recuping at hotel
Forum mods are the ones that will move your post if they see fit.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

At what point in the 2nd dive did you feel the pinky finger numbness?

Don't know about the Veo but I know with my Aeris it is very quick to give NDL back to you as you ascend. If your computer is like that and you spent some time at 96 ft unless you were checking NDLs during the deepest part of the dive it would be easy to ride the NDL at depth and then show lots of NDL when you go up a bit. How long were you at depth before you start up.

Another question is ascent rate. Did you computerize your ascents? I have seen a number of newer divers who after a slow ascent to the safety stop, do a safety stop, and then almost pop to the surface from 15 ft.

Not saying that is what happened. Just trying to help you brainstorm while you rest.

I do find it sort of curious that you started to feel the tingling at 55 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom