DC800 Strobe Aim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darelor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting acquainted with my new DC800 with pro strobe. Can someone give me any guidelines for aiming the strobe? Seems like I am not getting consistent illumination on 2 to 4 foot shots.

Thanks

Hello Darelor.
I am going to assume that you are using the same sealife strobe I got with my DC800 Pro kit.

The best advice I can give you is to first check your camera and strobe settings. I set both to automatic, since they are designed to work perfectly like that. You can look in your owner's manual to find out how, but the strobe is almost idiot-proof.

Having done that, remember that you are looking to reflect the strobe's light off of your subject and into the lens of your camera. Since your strobe is very offset from your lens, you must manually aim it to get the proper angle. It shouldn't be too much, since the strobe has a fairly wide blast. Just point it a little bit towards your target.

Beware, however, oversaturating your shot with too much light.

Also, have you tried using the clip-on wide angle lens, if you have one? I find it gives me a lot more leeway so I stand a lesser chance of screwing up a shot, since you've got more light coming into the shutter and thus the CCD. I really just stopped taking it off, except for cleaning after a dive.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Greg

This sounds like the old joke "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? - Practice, Practice, Practice" - but that is the secret.

You have to learn and remember how to adjust the flash head for different distances to the subject. You also need to increase the poser of the flash when you are further away or decrease it as you get closer. It just takes time and you can't rush your shots.

The nicest part about shooting digital is you can see your results on the screen immediately and make adjustments. Also, all those over exposed, washed out shots can be deleted and then they just did not happen :wink::wink:.

It will probably take 15 to 20 dives before you become proficient to even a moderate extent and probably 30 for it to sort of become second nature. But bad pics cost you nothing - so shoot away.

PS - Shooting w/o the flash and using PhotoShop will get you a greater number of usable pictures - but without some of the more subtle color rendition.

Denise has commented on this several times - SeaLife does not recommend using the wide angle lens on the DC-800. The DC-800 already has a 28 mm wide angle lens built in. The clip on lens is a 24 mm - and if you use it on the DC-800 you will get vignetting at the corners. The one from the DC-500 and DC-600 will fit, but it is not needed.

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep practicing.

The wide angle lens works great as long as you "Pull in a little" otherwise you get the "Port Hole effect" but you can crop with 8mp easily! Still a good investment for color and focus length! Next extend the length of the arm and you will have a more versatile strobe! I agree with practice practice and more practice! If you have a chance take a Digital Photo Class! The most important thing is buoyancy and control of your body and consider getting a Reed's Rod, this will improve your stability and pictures!
Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

what is that "reeds rod" for?

Mono Pod and Keeps your camera steady without destroying the coral! It also has a 1000 other uses.

480__MG_7221_Cathy_NP_taking_picture_FT_Exp_I_10-08.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom