DC800/1000 strobe connector cracking??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
(sorry for double post - this is where this question should be..)

Hey, I have a question, if someone can shed some light on this issue for me..

I have a DC800 Pro with the SL961 strobe.. same as DC1000 strobe.. I've had it for about a year now and the arm will come loose at the tray every now and again, so I just pop off the arm and tighten the screw into the tray and its good again for a month or so..

BUT - I recently though it might be a good idea to service the rest of the arm and connectors, so I took the Flash head off and to my surprise, the plastic connector that connects the strobe to the arm, has a ton of cracks in it.. almost to the point where i think its about to fracture and break off completely and go down the abyss!

So, my question is, could this be from just normal use on the strobe?? i.e. holding the strobe head and manipulate the arms to get the strobe into a decent shooting position??

Also, the nut thats set into the plastic is severely rusted and corroded.. Not sure how much longer this SL961 strobe will last before it breaks off the arms...

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

And another question, I bought a second SL961 thats not cracking yet and I noticed you fixed the on/off/test slider being extremely loose (I always end up with drained battery because it moves into "on" in on the boat in the bag) and the poor wiring connection to the brightness adjuster knob that tends to after a while opening closing the lid, breaking the wires off.. Whats the chances I can send my older SL961 strobe in for fixes on these design defects when you address the cracking connection?

BTW - GREAT Strobes!! I love my Camera and Strobes.. I always recommend this setup to all my students and just these small issues that if fixed, would make me a VERY happy diver :)

Picture of the cracking.. (I would advise everyone else to check theirs too)
SL961HeadMount.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I contacted SeaLife directly and they said they've seen this before when the head unit has been overtightned at the factory and issued me an RMA number have the issue fixed..

GREAT customer service from these folks and super friendly, would for sure invest in more SeaLif poducts based on this kind of service

Update 2:

SeaLife replaced my strobe with a brand new one.. very quick turn around with very friendly and prompt customer service!

I'm a great advocate for SeaLife and will continue to recommend their products to my students and fellow divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom