DC2000 settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What kind of settings are you using for the DC2000? I took mine to Bonaire and was less than impressed with the photos. I'm 100% sure it was my fault, and would really like to avoid bad photos on my next trip.

I was shooting with the "Underwater with flash" setting. Should I be manually setting things instead??

Were you just using the internal flash? I tried that in a few darker situations and was disappointed. Were you seeing lots of backscatter (snow) in the water? That's the flash too. Tell us more about why you weren't impressed.

One thing I have learned is that you have to recognize the limitations of your setup. If you don't have a decent offboard flash (on an arm) then flash photos are going to be tough - so look for circumstances where the natural light is plentiful, which means shallow water and sunshine. Most of my best photos have been in 20 to 40 feet of water.

I am a big fan of taking photos in RAW mode and the balancing the colours etc. in Photoshop afterwards. Others prefer to use the electronics in the camera do the work, but I find that gives me more mixed results.

I don't want to give you general advice, because I'm not sure how much underwater photography you have done (possibly more than me!) and I don't want to insult you.

We need more information to be able to help.

Were you using the internal flash?
If you have an external flash, did you have one or two?
Was the camera in the case or were you using it out of the case?
How deep were you?
Were you in green water or blue water?
What didn’t you like about the photos?
Where they underexposed or overexposed?
Did it appear that there was a lot of ‘snow’ in the photos?
How comfortable are you with using a camera topside?

Can you post a pic that you don't like, and explain why you're not happy with it?

Last edited:
I was using the Sea Dragon flashes. I was in Bonaire, to give an idea of the water. Depths anywhere from 10’ to 150’.

I’ll post some photos tonight!

It seems like this thread died but I have the same questions as @hroark2112.

I'm using two Sea Dragon flashes with flex connect extenders. Depths 60-100 feet usually. Flash power set "A" (automatic) is too strong for most shots in my limited experience. I was using: "underwater with external flash," ISO125, AF focus mode, and flash on auto. Some pictures turn out pretty good but a lot don't. What settings are others using? Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Win

Did the flash, Sea Dragon, go off? I've had issues with my setup, DC2000 w/ Sea Dragon flash, no going off, most of the time the "cap" over the camera's flash is not in place, I've also had the fiber optic come loose or out of place in the "cap" I only catch it about half the time it happens. I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom