DC1400 - want to attach Go Pro to top of DC1400 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Senecafalls

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone else out there set up a Go Pro on top of your DC1400 housing yet? I was told at the Beneath The Sea show by one of the Sea Life reps that this is possible. My husband e-mailed SeaLife and the comment he got back was to make sure I get the right cold shoe adapter to make sure the adapter does not interfere with the sealing of the waterproof housing door. Any suggestions for a cold shoe adapter that would work with carrying the Go Pro?

Before you ask why I want a Go Pro if I have a DC1400 that has video...because too many times i want to be able to take both still and video at the same exact time!!!!!!!

I considered doing the same thing, but went a different direction. I mounted my Sealife camera, flashes and go pro onto an Ikelite Tray. Still considering using a cold shoe to mount a focus light...

I found that when I added the second flash to my DC1400 it was hard to hold too. It was positively buoyant and it flexed a lot due to the added weight from the fisheye lens, GoPro and a BC weight, so I decided to upgrade and install it onto a tray.

View attachment 153432View attachment 153433

Tray - Ikelite w/ Dual Release Handles ($100)
Amazon.com: Ikelite Tray and Handle Asssembly with Dual Release Handles for Digital Camera Housings and Strobes - Lightweight: Camera & Photo
(2) Quick release adapters - Nocturnal Lights T-base Connector to mount the strobes to the tray ($60)
Buy and Review T-base Connector for Ikelite quick release handles

It's much more stable now, gives me several different options to hold it and should be pretty close to neutrally buoyant. The flashes are also detachable and the extension of the handle allows them to be positioned much better for macro shots.

Spitts...thanks for the suggestion. Something for me to consider. But have a question for you. Does it create an issue that the sealife camera and the gopro are not lined up like they would be if the gopro was attached to the shoe? Seems like it would be hard to keep both centered on the subject if you are trying to do both still and video at the same time?

The FOV on the GoPro it so wide that the offset doesn't really show unless you are shooting Macro, which you probably wouldn't be able to view with the camera mounted on top anyway.

PICT0075.jpgPICT0078.jpgMy solution to the problem. The two cameras line up on the subject quite well unless you are really close to the subject then when your are centered on the SeaLife it is at the bottom of the GoPro frame. I moved the battery canister (black cylinder with blue straps) up to the white brace to better balance. I can still work all the SeaLife controls and will often hold the system with just my right hand on the SeaLife itself.

Tray and lights are all DIY. Light plans are on SB in the DIY section, and tray plans available by PM.

What do you do if you need to use a strobe for the camera?

View attachment 160317View attachment 160318My solution to the problem. The two cameras line up on the subject quite well unless you are really close to the subject then when your are centered on the SeaLife it is at the bottom of the GoPro frame. I moved the battery canister (black cylinder with blue straps) up to the white brace to better balance. I can still work all the SeaLife controls and will often hold the system with just my right hand on the SeaLife itself.

Tray and lights are all DIY. Light plans are on SB in the DIY section, and tray plans available by PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom