Dc1400 strobe or flash or both

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're looking at uor first scuba camera purchase and the DC1400 seems to give good quality with simplicity, so it looks good for our beginner needs. But which light do we get? Is there a difference or is both even better? Thanks.

I have a DC800 (older ) I have the strobe
Sealife-digital-pro-flash-1.jpg

And I have the photo/video light.

sealife-photo-video-light-1_0.jpg

You can get them in a "kit"

sealife-dc1400-pro-duo-underwater-camera-set-front-1.jpg

The kit has the camera, housing, both the strobe and the video light and it comes in a case that makes it nice to keep everything together for trips.

DC1400 Pro Duo | Sealife Cameras

I like my old DC800 and the DC1400 is a much improved camera and housing.

The camera does have a built in flash and can be used in the housing while underwater without the strobe but I would suggest at least the strobe. The camera also works well above water out of the housing while during any land excursions you might go on.

To get good photos underwater you need more light for the colors, especially the reds and yellows.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. But what's the difference between the strobe and the photo/video light? The cost is about the same. Is one better for some things than the other? When would you need both?

Thanks. But what's the difference between the strobe and the photo/video light? The cost is about the same. Is one better for some things than the other? When would you need both?

Yes there is a difference between the 2. One is a strobe, it fires like a flash, the strobe will sync with the built in flash of the camera. The other is a light that stays on when you turn it on. It has 3 different intensities and will detach from the arm so you can use it like a flashlight. Check out the link to the sealife camera website, it might answer some of the questions you have. http://www.sealife-cameras.com/

This photo was taken without the strobe and with the video light. You can see the cone of light from it. The DC1400 will also take video. You can use the video light for that. For most still shots the strobe will work great. I like having plenty of light. You can also use the video light to light up the subject and see the colors.

I wish I had the DC1400, it is a nice camera, the 1400 is the 3rd update since I bought mine.

PICT0408.jpg

The strobe you should use for still photography. The video light is for videos. If you want to do stills and videos, you will need both. Good luck with your purchase! - Scott

The DUO is the way to go.....Think of it this way, the camera wont take stills to its best potential without the strobe, and wont do great video without the light, so why spend that kind of money and not be able to get the best performance from the gear? Honestly the video light is nice, but if you have a canister light it will work somewhat better.....really depends on the money you have to spend and the type of photos and video you want to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom