DC that pick-up at El Cantil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlindie4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are staying at the El Cantil for a week in mid October. I’ve contacted three dive companies so far and only one picks up at the dock at the El Cantil. I looked at the spreadsheet made by Jonhall, this was so helpful and narrowing down my choices and deciding what amenities we wanted. So far the only TC that will pick up at the dock at the El Cantil is Salty endeavors ( also contacted Tres And Liquid Blue) The only problem with them is they do the brake on the boat. I would really rather have a beach club with a bathroom etc. for that hour break. We are a family of three, our 10-year-old will be diving with us. we are all new divers, with nine dives each including two ocean dives in Hawaii. The most important thing to us, of course, is safety. We would like a small group and not a huge group of divers. Any other suggestions from Cozumel veterans?

Aldora has picked up at El Cantil when we have been on their boat.

SI at beach club.

Attachments

• aldora_surface_interval_small.jpeg
    aldora_surface_interval_small.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 66
alty endeavors ( also contacted Tres And Liquid Blue) The only problem with them is they do the brake on the boat. I would really rather have a beach club with a bathroom etc. for that hour break.
It varies. I dived with them a couple of weeks ago. I doubt that all beach clubs welcome bathroom visitors who seldom spend money, and at times they can't stop as they need the time to change sites. Most divers pee at the Safety Stop, but if you really need a bathroom dump, tell the captain. Talk with the owner if you'd like, Henry. He is a pretty agreeable fellow and available to talk even tho he does have to have assistants answer some emails for the growing business.
We are a family of three, our 10-year-old will be diving with us. we are all new divers, with nine dives each including two ocean dives in Hawaii. The most important thing to us, of course, is safety.
Since this is your first visit, these are my suggestions for Cozumel newbies...

> DAN dive insurance is essential. Explanation available.
> Do not ever rent scooters.
> Get trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
> Hire private DMs for each newbie or couple the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
> Everyone buy and carry SMBs and Storm whistles even if using rental gear.

I guess you know to not drink the water and negotiate cab fares before boarding. Use your debit card at BANK OWNED ATMs (not free standing cash machines that are dangerous) to get Pesos as most things are cheaper in the local currency.

We are staying at the El Cantil for a week in mid October. I’ve contacted three dive companies so far and only one picks up at the dock at the El Cantil. I looked at the spreadsheet made by Jonhall, this was so helpful and narrowing down my choices and deciding what amenities we wanted. So far the only TC that will pick up at the dock at the El Cantil is Salty endeavors ( also contacted Tres And Liquid Blue) The only problem with them is they do the brake on the boat. I would really rather have a beach club with a bathroom etc. for that hour break. We are a family of three, our 10-year-old will be diving with us. we are all new divers, with nine dives each including two ocean dives in Hawaii. The most important thing to us, of course, is safety. We would like a small group and not a huge group of divers. Any other suggestions from Cozumel veterans?

I believe Deep Blue will pick up from El Cantil and they do the SI (brake?) on shore. At least they used to do that. They'd usually go to Paradise Beach Club, but they'd also go to the conch pier occasionally. Now that the conch pier charges that may have changed.

Edited to add that a private DM is a really good idea on it's own for divers new to Cozumel, but in your case, it might be something to consider for all your dives. If I recall correctly, your 10 year old may have a 40 foot depth restriction? First dives are usually to 80 feet. I could be wrong about the depth restriction but if I'm not, having a private DM would make your diving much more enjoyable.

I would also recommend a private guide for your or family or 10 year old. We always hired a private dive guide for or 10/11+ year old when we were in Cozumel. The guide would dive above us with him at the depth he was restricted to and it made it really easy because he would descend a bit slower due to his smaller Eustachian tubes so he never felt rushed. Have fun we really enjoyed the El Cantil when we stayed there.

3P will pick you up and return you to el cantil, by car or taxi w/ no extra charge

They may not want to book with a 10 year old diver since they are a Junior Open Water Diver and depth limited. It limit the entire boat to 60' max.

Aldora has a fleet (6 or 7 boats), groups boat be skill level and may be willing to accomodate on a beninner boat.

I believe Deep Blue will pick up from El Cantil and they do the SI (brake?) on shore. At least they used to do that. They'd usually go to Paradise Beach Club, but they'd also go to the conch pier occasionally. Now that the conch pier charges that may have changed.

Edited to add that a private DM is a really good idea on it's own for divers new to Cozumel, but in your case, it might be something to consider for all your dives. If I recall correctly, your 10 year old may have a 40 foot depth restriction? First dives are usually to 80 feet. I could be wrong about the depth restriction but if I'm not, having a private DM would make your diving much more enjoyable.
Absolutely a private DM for all dives! He is restricted on depth, which is still fine for us too. We are still beginners and just finding our “fins” ourselves. We will be doing a couple of lake dives with our DM before we leave to get more familiar with our new equipment. Most of the companies we’ve contacted so far will be only us or a couple of other divers and we will have the private DM dive with our boy who is already totally happy and comfortable diving. He spent an hour diving in our pool the other night playing Superman and “walking on the moon.”

We stayed there and Aldora picked us up.

So far the only TC that will pick up at the dock at the El Cantil is Salty endeavors ( also contacted Tres And Liquid Blue) The only problem with them is they do the brake on the boat. I would really rather have a beach club with a bathroom etc. for that hour break.

We can always stop ashore as needed, you just need to ask our Captian. But the stop would not be for 60 minutes. You get about 20-30 minutes or so and then the boats need to motor to the upcoming divesite.

Most beach clubs charge for toilet use nowadays. You also are not permitted to use their beach chairs or other facilities without payment.

From what I see out there, no boats are doing shore stays on surface intervals. The old days of all the shops gathering at the piers is gone thanks to all piers now charging fees.

If anyone has their dive op RECENTLY going to shore for surface intervals, please correct me or let us know where they port into. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom