DC 800 Pro and low viz photo tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vablackwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey there,

I just ordered a DC 800 pro, and am a relative newb in the world of underwater photography. Anyone have any good trips or tricks specific to the DC 800 regarding low to no viz pictures?

* thanks SeaLife Denise for your prompt responses in private message and suggestions

Here were my suggestions:

There are a few techniques to taking pictures in low visibility, however this is a much complex and detailed science than we can cover here. There are several university that offer programs on Underwater Crime Scene Investigation, which covers all the details. Here are a few tips that will help you get improved results in low to zero vis conditions.

1)Don’t stir up the bottom and make visibility worse than it already is.
2)Use Edge lighting in low vis. This is the technique of aiming the flash head(s) just outside the edge of the image frame. That way you don’t illuminate the floating particles between the camera and the subject. Here are two pictures which show the difference between a picture taken with edge lighting compared to aiming the flash at the center of the image frame.

3)For zero vis, try this technique – Use a large clear zip lock bag and fill it with fresh water at the surface. Gently hold the bag up against the subject (i.e. VIN # or body part, etc). The gently press the camera against the other side of the back and take several macro pictures. The clear water and bag have near perfect visibility. The larger the bag, the larger the image frame.

It's gotta be tough holding a baggie with water up against a great white or even a sea urchin.
(sorry Denise, I couldn't resist)

assuming you do not upload your photos from your camera to your computer, but remove the card and simply copy them (as I have always done) you will probably need a reader.
This card usies a formatting that most except the newest readers do not know about. My card came with a little USB adapter. Put the card in the adapter and the adapter in a USB port. I bought mine on e-bay. It came form Hong King and took around 10 days, but it was cheap and works like a charm.
I paid $19 for both and that included free shipping
Sandisk 4GB SD HC Card Secure Digital Memory NEW+Reader - eBay (item 180259761350 end time Jul-02-08 19:58:34 PDT)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom