DC 800 - Good for First Time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic5

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for my first underwater camera and I am considering the CD 800 with the single strobe. The reivews seem to be good but I was looking for some first hand recommendations.

Thanks

I have the DC800 and DC600. The DC800 is a better camera and with the new strobe, it takes some great pictures. It is easy to use and takes great video as well. I would recommend it as a first camera.

I keep thinking about upgrading to a high-end camera with a large dome enclosure, but right now, I like the ease of packing, low cost, ease of use, and video ability of the Sealife cameras.

Plus, their customer service is incredible. Recently, I didn't seat the strobe o-ring correctly on my DC800. I totally flooded the strobe and fried the internals and batteries. I took it back to my LDS where I got it. They sent it in to Sealife for repairs. About 3 weeks later, it was back. I should say that a new strobe was back. Sealife replaced it, for free, even though it was completely my fault for flooding it. You'd be hard pressed to beat that kind of service.

I appreciate the information. While I am not ready for it yet, what is the difference between using one vs. two strobes with this camera??

Also, how is the battery life on the camera and strobe? Thanks

I appreciate the information. While I am not ready for it yet, what is the difference between using one vs. two strobes with this camera??

Also, how is the battery life on the camera and strobe? Thanks

having 2 strobes allows you to do more with your photography. with macro, you can light your subject with opposing side lighting. can make your subject look shadowless. its a matter of taste, many people like photos with one strobe with some shadowing. also, 2 strobes can allow you to illuminate your subject and also illuminate a nearby reef with the second. you can illuminate ur closeup subject with one and illuminate the background with the second. having 2 strobes just adds to the possibilities with your photography.

The DC800 and DC1000 use the same battery and its life is very good. you can do 2 dives without having to open the housing to exchange the battery. the strobes use AA size batteries and will last a long time too, mulitple dives depending on what your photographing.

I only have one strobe but can echo the remarks about the battery life. I used to use a DC500 and both batteries (changed between dives sometimes) would die before the ones in the strobe.

Using the DC1000 I've never had the batteries die in either camera or strobe. Very long life. In that case it might be a contest between those and the rechargable AAs in the strobe and the other ones in the camera, but on two-tank days it hasn't happened. For a third dive I've always swapped all of them out just in case.

Especially if this is your first U/W camera, I would suggest just getting the single strobe. You can still get great photos with just one strobe. Plus, just starting out, you can focus on aiming a single strobe and realizing the effects of adjusting its angle will have. You can easily add a second strobe later if you desire/feel you are ready for it.

I would strongly suggest getting at least one external strobe. The camera will take photos without an external strobe, but they will be so much more colorful and detailed with the strobe. Plus, for night time photos, the strobe is pretty much required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom