DC 1000 issues (Shutter release)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackswr

Reaction score
I purchased the DC 1000 Elite package in Sept. of 2009. I had problems and continue to have problems with the shutter release button sticking in the down position. I've been dealing with one of the service guys and he has sent me a total of four new housings........this last one worked for about 75 photos and then over the weekend on a Canadian Dive Trip, it started sticking again.

I think I will try to get my money back from the dive shop where I purchased it and put it towards a Sea & Sea DX2G.

Anbody have any ideas/suggestions about my issues?

Frustrated in Seattle

Have you dove any saltwater, and did you rinse it well. Of you leave salt buildup the buttons tend to stick. Sad to hear about the problems. You have to soak in freshwater and work the buttons to get out any salt residue.

I`m the 1st in my country to return the Maxx DC 1000 set and get full cash back :) The communication between the LDS, Dealer in Germany and Sealife US was ok and after 1 month i`ve been called to come to LDS and get money back or gear. Since i wanted a dry suit it was a good thing for me and LDS.

Here is what you have to do. Since it has warranty you go there and start to complain. The EU Legislation is saying that you need the item to be replaced 3 times before any funds can be returned. I`ve only got it changed 2 times. So, i gave the owner the kit and asked for full return. I`ve helped him write the email, even spoke on phone with the dealer in person and told him 2 of my vacations were finished because after 10m the shutter button got stuck. I was on the boat with the owner of LDS when 1st time happened and he confirmed it. So, i gave the stuff and told him: "send it back, ask for full refund and i`ll take some stuff instead of moeny, thats the best i can do for you". So, after 1 month, i`ve got a call to come take the dry suit.

If i can be any assistance, let me know. Use PM if in 1 day i`m not answering.:wink:

Bought the DC1000 in Spring 2009, dove with it in Bonaire in August and the shutter started sticking, it would come back up if flicked. Two other DC1000's on the trip had the same problem to varying degrees. All were sent back to sealife for repair and upon return and all seemed to work. I took the camera to hawaii on the Aggressor Live Aboard - trip of the lifetime. 19 dives in starts sticking and won't come back up while at depth. If you free it on the surface by removing the camera from the housing it will then work perfectly on the surface after reinstalling the camera.

A phone call by my dealer who happened to be on the live aboard on the day it started sticking, offered no suggestions for an in-the-field fix. Since then I have been communicating with sealife and remain hopeful that they will resolve the issue, they do however seem extraordinarily perplexed by the issue. I also note that in the new DC1200 they have entirely abandoned this design for the shutter button. Things that make you go hmmm.

And yes the camera was soaked in fresh water, rinsed under running water, basically everything i could do to try to make sure there was no sand or salt under the shutter button.

Till yesterday, I didn't have this problem.
But Yesterday I made a dive to 38 m (salt water) and from 30 meter the shutter button start to do difficult.
At 35meter it stucks, and I wasn't be able to make any pictures anymore:cussing:
At the surface, and after drying, I opend the house, and the shutter released.
Can I expect to get this same problem again during my next dive?
Should I go back to the dealer, so he can send the house back? (But I need my camera now, Now is the diving seizoen)
What can I do to prevent this again???
I've read a lot about this (known) issue, but I can't find anywhere the solution !
Please. . . . .

If I get no answer, does that means there is no solution?

Danny, I've gone through 4 housings so far. I'm STILL having issues. Its gotten to where I can get one picture or video on any given dive before it jams.

I've been working with the Sea_life service dept and they have been helpful at everything except fixing the problem. They send me new housings that eventually have the same issues.

I've heard some stories where people get new housings and they seem to have no further problem, or at least i don't hear from them again.

I would suggest cutting your losses and return it to the store where you purchased it and either try to exchange it for the new DC 1200, which has a NEW style shutter release button....Imagine that? OR go with a different camera all together.

Good luck.

Hmm, sound not hopefull.
Does anyone tried to fix the problem by themselve?
Using silicon-spray, . . . . . . ???
I do have now 1,5 year warranty, should I lose this when I use some greasse ?

I contacted my dealer and he told me that he had a solution of this problem.
Something with the lip inside the house.
There where the lip makes contact with de shutter (of the camera)
There is a kind of a ball, and this is too big.
Tomorow I'm going to him and he will fix it (it takes just a minute to fix it)
I made a picture of the situation at this moment, and I will make one, once it's fixed.
So you can see what is the cause of this problem, and you all can fix it yourselve.

To be continued . . . .

No luck, He modified a little thing. That should do it, but when I tried a few times, the shutter locks again.
So he gives me a replace house.
. . . . ..:confused6:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom