Day trip from Cabo to La Paz for the sea lions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illini_Fan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All - looking for the collective SB wisdom

I plan on doing another Socorro trip in mid-May 2021 and want to do a dive (or two) with the sea lions near La Paz. Handful of questions:

- Is it possible to do this as a long day-trip from a Cabo hotel? If so, any recommended operators?
- If the day-trip approach isn't possible, I could plan on something like the following:
Fly into Cabo - take shuttle or transport to La Paz hotel
Dive with La Paz based shop for sea lions -- any recommendations?
Either spend a 2nd night in La Paz and head to Cabo the next morning (Socorro boat doesn't depart until evening) OR head to Cabo after the dives and spend a night in a Cabo hotel. I'm thinking I'd rather spend two nights in one hotel versus lugging my gear to two spots. Is an evening in La Paz worth the time?
thanks

Tom

We did this, more or less, when we went to Cabo in November 2017. We were staying locally and diving with Manta. They did a day trip that included transportation up to the La Paz marina, snorkeling with Whale Sharks, and then a one-tanker out at Los Islotes.

It was a long day on a six-pack boat, but weather might have contributed to that, with a pretty hefty North wind.

Coolest part, aside from the diving, was coming back through Todo Santos and stopping at the Hotel California for a beer.

Can't tell you anything about staying in La Paz, but we love wandering around the Cabo marina, plus lots of great places to eat in town.

We did this, more or less, when we went to Cabo in November 2017. We were staying locally and diving with Manta. They did a day trip that included transportation up to the La Paz marina, snorkeling with Whale Sharks, and then a one-tanker out at Los Islotes.

Thank you -- good to know at least back then it was possible. I don't know if the whale sharks are "in season" in May, but I'll check out their website. I also asked Nautilus (the boat I've used / will be using for Socorro) if they have recommendations.

Thank you -- good to know at least back then it was possible. I don't know if the whale sharks are "in season" in May, but I'll check out their website. I also asked Nautilus (the boat I've used / will be using for Socorro) if they have recommendations.

If you are lucky, maybe you get in a two-tanker at Los Islotes.

We did Whale Sharks off of Isla Mujeres previously, so the one or two Whale Sharks we saw at La Paz was a snoozer.

We could have easily skipped that hour or so, and headed out to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom