Day in Sorong after Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do most people do with a free day in Sorong? My wife and I are going to be staying at Sorido Bay on Kri, and will have 1 night in Sorong before our departure flight the next morning.

So others who have spent time there, what do you normally do when you have a short amount of time? Any good tours? Either a city or jungle tour? And good areas for souvenirs? (no idea what is available on Kri) Any good restaurants, maybe with a less local focus (since we will be having mainly that at the resort before this)?

Also, what hotel do most people use in Sorong? I'm looking at Vega Hotel currently.

Thank you!

I stay at the Swissbel. That's all I've got for you because I've never tried for a tour or anything.

And good areas for souvenirs?
Downtown Sorong you will find tribal art shops or stalls. There was one 200m near to the Royal Mamberamo hotel (very nice seafood dinner here btw)
A koteka is I think the most original souvenir you can bring home to your friends (preferably masculine gender).
You wonder what is a koteka? Ok... it's a penis sheath.
Other than that you'll find plenty of woodcarvings at these shops.

I went to Toko Andalas (Irian Jaya Art and Souvenier) located a kilometer or so, west of the airport on Jalan Ahmad Yani, as shown in the map, below. I haven't been there a while, may be 3 years ago, I'll be there next week though, so I'll check it out whether it is still there.

image.jpeg

During one of the visit in Sorong, I had a free morning, so I just walked a cross the street from Swisbel hotel, talked to one of the Ojek (motorcycle taxi) driver to give me a ride on the back of his motorcycle for a 30 min sightseeing around the city for Rp.25,000 ($2), before meeting the rest of my group for breakfast. :D

As we cruised on one of the main road, I saw these four-legged waste-management workers busy cleaning (scrounging) the garbage. :D

IMG_1470.JPG

Thank you all for the great info!

I stay at the Swissbel. That's all I've got for you because I've never tried for a tour or anything.
Any complaints about the hotel?

Downtown Sorong you will find tribal art shops or stalls. There was one 200m near to the Royal Mamberamo hotel (very nice seafood dinner here btw)
A koteka is I think the most original souvenir you can bring home to your friends (preferably masculine gender).
You wonder what is a koteka? Ok... it's a penis sheath.
Other than that you'll find plenty of woodcarvings at these shops.
Probably not the best gift for my mom then haha. Good to know what those are when I see them! Woodcarvings sounds nice.

During one of the visit in Sorong, I had a free morning, so I just walked a cross the street from Swisbel hotel, talked to one of the Ojek (motorcycle taxi) driver to give me a ride on the back of his motorcycle for a 30 min sightseeing around the city for Rp.25,000 ($2), before meeting the rest of my group for breakfast. :D

As we cruised on one of the main road, I saw these four-legged waste-management workers busy cleaning (scrounging) the garbage. :D

View attachment 559957
Seems like an efficient way to reduce what goes to the landfill. Nice. I wasn't expecting to see feral pigs. My last dive trip was to Bonaire with feral goats and donkeys, so this seems to be becoming a trend for me. I think the most terrifying thing about you photo is that whenever I look at it, all I can think about is bacon!

Dan, I just finished watching those videos. Thank you for those! Very helpful. I don't know why, but while I've seen countless Raja Ampat videos on YouTube, I hadn't even tried looking up any Sorong ones yet. No clue why I hadn't thought of that yet. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom