day diving & handicapped without a dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So over the last two hundred dives over the last two years, I've carried an umbilical style dive light rated to four thousand lumens (nanight tech 2).
I've used the light on every day dive. Helps me find camouflaged critters. The scorpion fish change their color to blend into nearby surroundings.
Also use the light to peak under ledges and for macro hunting.
The light is on throughout the whole dive.

A few weekends ago I had to dive without the light (charger busted).
Those five dives sans a light were torture.
I felt handicapped.
I can say that I saw probably half of what I would've seen with a light.
Shallow dives down to ten meters at midday were ok.
But early morning or late afternoon dives to thirty meters was an unpleasant experience.

Theres no question I'm posing or advice I'm soliciting here - just pointing out how much of a difference some light makes (to me)

Even in 5 meters the light gives detail that helps me to understand what I'm seeing on the coral or under a ledge.

Was handed a light by the instructor during my open water course (or, CMAS *). That is the last time I dived without a light - everything gets more colourful and prettier.

Using a light at close to max depth should be mandatory during OW course!

The principle value of a light is to signal another diver. It's primarily a safety tool. Its helpful to know what a circular motion is, when and how to use it and what to look for in response to it from another diver. Equally important what a rapid horizontal light signal implies. I've found it helpful to have a back up light clipped to my right shoulder D ring and secured with a rubber strap slid onto the BC shoulder( I use a strip of bicycle innertube cut into 3/4 wide slip over the shoulder strap harness). This and my canister light have always provided me options and backups. Dont skip the deco stops.

I never dive without at least a small light. You miss so much without one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom