Davey Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terminator

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to all of this so bear with me, I am a newbie, but I have just recently acquired, a Davey compressor, it was originally a 15 hp, 3 phase motor, 5000 psi. with 1309 hours, breathable air compressor, it was used on an airport to refill scba for the fire department. I acquired this product on ebay, and the seller has no litterature or any manual that came with it. Which is often the case when you buy online.

Since I acquired it I have replaced the electric motor, with an 24 hp Honda gas engine, I had to convert a couple of things on it, like getting a pulley machine to the compressor, but here is what I need to find out. The type of oil it requires, the amount, of oil, and when the valve have to be redone, if they have to be redone at all. I have heard that synthetic oil is the best to use, although more expensive.

I really could use all the help that anyone can give. I have called davey for a part manual, but to no avail. They weren't helpful at all.

Can anyone help me?

I might be able to come up with a CD of the manual, but I can't promise anything. send me a pm with your email. Nick

The internet is a source for CD's that cover the Davey. Generally, any CD that features "army compressors" will carry it. Check with the vendor. Bargain Marge sells the CD's also (protecair.com). She will likely have the specific manual for your model. I think parts are available. I don't know what oil but Bauer recommends Anderol 755. That type should be fine for the Davey. Compressor oils are not very sophisticated, even the synthetics. In lieu of a complete, and potentially toxic, additive package the fallback for breathing air applications is to use a very heavy oil like 755 at temps above freezing.

Hey Pesc, do you have a "take" on the Davey compressors? I see them on goverment surplus auctions a lot and have always wondered what kind of a breathing air compressor they might make.

The Davey is a BIG, 15 cfm machine. The Diesel powered carriage, compressor and engine runs 2000 pounds. I haven't heard anything bad about the machine. The government paid 20,000 USD for the mobile units. Since they sell on the surplus market for 1000-2000 it would be presumptious of me to say anything other than a compressor in good condition is a tremendous bargain for the right user. The Davey normally includes extensive filtering which could be tweaked for "breathing air" if necessary.
Pesky

Thank you Pesscador, I have used your info, and contacted Protecair in Texas, they were very helpful, and we have found verything we needed, again thank you for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom