Davao Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Finally made it down to Mindanao for some diving last week and I had a great time. I really enjoyed Davao.
Left Moalboal Tuesday at 4:30Am so I could catch the PAL flight to Davao from Cebu, there is only one flight daily and depending
on how early you book it , it can be very reasonably priced. I made the trip to assist a friend who was doing some initial planning
for a Reef Study that he is undertaking. Anyway, I got to Davao at 9:30AM got my bags and made it his office by 10AM.
Messed around the city for a little while and visited the Dive Shop we were using for tanks but then I was off to visit the Philippine Eagle Center. I
f you’re ever in Davao you should stop by the center, without exception I think it was the nicest Park I have visited in the Philippines and was almost
as interesting as Caluit Island. While there, I saw several different species of Eagles and other birds of prey,
unfortunately some of the exhibits were closed due to it being mating season.
DSC02357.JPG

Spent the first night in down town Davao so we could get on the road first thing in the morning and the next morning true to plan we were on our way
south to Santa Cruz. After a couple of hours of gripping and grinning with the LGU guys we made it to the Parking lot for the Pasig Islet Eco-Park.
We unloaded our gear and made the 200M walk over the Mangrove Forest. This is a well thought out Walkway that gives you plenty of
opportunities to see some beautiful intact Mangroves and I also witnessed several bird species that I had never observed before. By this time
there were five in our party and we all boarded a “slow” banca to the Islet. The wind was whipping at about 12-15 Knots as we made the approx 500M crossing.
The ride was pretty bumpy but we had a great view of Mount Apo (highest peak in the RP) as we made the crossing. Unfortunately I forgot to take any pics of
the Mountain.
Once we made it to the Islet we suited up and my friend November and I took the boat back out and went for our first dive of the trip.
Even though the surface had significant chop as soon as we descended it was a nice calm dive. The highlights of the dive were seeing plenty of nudibranchs
and some unique flatworms. The reef was in good shape with a large variety of corals and different types of sponges, some that I had never seen before.
After the dive we headed for the BFAR experimentation station where we spent the evening and had the best Bangus I have ever eaten. The station is
adjacent to a Bangus Farm and provides the farmers a fish sorting station which enables the fisheries folks to get data on harvest info. I found out that
if you eat the Bangus fresh you can enjoy it in almost any fashion my favorite was the Bangus Kinilaw (the fish has to be still squirming when you make it
or the meat is too soft).
The next morning (Thursday) we went back to the Islet and were in the water by 7:30AM the site was similar to the previous one, lots of corals, Nudibranchs
and sponges. The second dive of the day took us to another site around the same Islet where we experience more of the same but to my surprise I saw the
largest “wild” Giant Clam that I have seen in years it was approximately 1.1Meters long.
20100127141802_1_giant_clam_in_the_wild.jpg

The low point of the diving day was the dynamite fishing I felt and heard during the first dive of the day. After the dives and it was back to the
BFAR experimentation station for lunch and a tour of the fish pins that had active experiments ongoing. These guys are really working hard,
it is nice to see people who are really into their work, and I got to see pins with Large Jacks, Mangrove Snappers, Bangus and Marine Tilapia.
After we cleaned and packed our gear, and had a delicious lunch of Grilled Tilapia and Bangus kinilaw, we loaded up the truck and headed
back to the city where we spent the night and set out the next morning (Friday) for our dives around Samal Island.
We hired a boat from Carabao Diving Center, and made three dives, the first two dives reminded me of Moalboal, there was plenty to see including
Nudi Branchs plenty of live coral and couple of Slipper lobsters, some wrasses, angel fish and a soap fish I had not seen before.
The final dive of the trip was at the Davao del Norte State College experimental station about two kilometers west of the Pearl Farm.
This was a pretty interesting dive as it is situated right on top of what looks like a pretty heavily dynamite damaged reef. Despite this,
it was an interesting dive and I saw a crocodile fish, several tiger cowries half hidden in the rocks, there was also a vast giant clam garden.
After the dive we relaxed during the 40 minute boat ride back to Davao City and then made the 5 minute walk back to the dive shop.
20100128110832_1_nudi.jpg

Conclusions: Visibility: varied from between 15-20meters at the Islet in Sat Cruise. To 20-25meters at Talked and Samal Islands.
Marine Life: Good Corals, Good Sponges, Several species of Nudibranchs. Lots of fish I was unfamiliar with. I did not see any big critters, one diver
said he saw a big grouper but I never saw it I was about 15 meters from him and it was a good distance from him. There was a noticeable lack of big fish and turtles.
Dive Center: What a great dive shop, it was really refreshing to visit a dive shop that seemed more focused on ensuring divers enjoy themselves and can afford
to dive rather than trying to extract every peso out of your pocket. For those who have been diving a while it had the feel of a dive club more than just a dive shop.
TWO THUMBS UP!!!!
Davao: This place has a different feel than any other city I have been to in the Philippines. The streets are clean; everyone seems to take pride in their hometown.
There was plenty to do, in fact Friday night found us out at one of the local venues called Matina Town Square where we listened to a band (from Cebu)
named the Molecules who put on a great show, everyone was enjoying themselves and there was no Rowdy commotions or trouble.
Drinks were cold and the Food was great it wascalled the Goats Head restaurant. Accommodations: there are many choices for hotels in Davao the only
night I stayed in a hotel (Friday) I stayed at a placed called “Jorges” which was very nice clean, comfortable, restaurant on site and within walking distance
to NCC Mall. It was only 1200P For a Queen which had Ref, kitchen, sitting area; in fact there was adequate room for up to 4 persons.
I will probably return to Davao to do more diving and enjoy the things I missed doing this time like climbing Mt. Apo and eating that Durian without holding my nose.

20100128113901_3_ornate_ghost_pipe_fish.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for being so long winded..

More photos are on my Photo Album page. I still have not perfected posting pics in a post.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom