Dauin is on Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am waking up every day feeling blessed living so close to such amazing dive sites in Dauin.

No, I am not sponsored by the Philippine Dep. of Tourism, but it's a fact that the critter/muck diving in the area is on fire right now. On some dives it's difficult to decide where to look, and what to film. My otherwise really good air consumption has gone up due to so much excitement. Check out a few samples:

Ambon scorpionfish:

Mimic octopus:
(the wunderpus in this video is from Siquijor 3 weeks ago, but we have them in Dauin too right now).

and 3 "Shawn the sheep" sarcoglossan sea slugs on one piece of algae, 2 different species:
52021076475_dd65b2b7f4.jpg

... and I missed out on the frogfish at the dive site due to being busy with other critters...

You have an empty couch by chance?
Yes, hehe, but you can get really cheap accommodation here as well. It's mostly the cost/time of the flight to Manila->Dumaguete which makes it a bit of a trip to come here, depending on where you are.

Yes, hehe, but you can get really cheap accommodation here as well. It's mostly the cost/time of the flight to Manila->Dumaguete which makes it a bit of a trip to come here, depending on where you are.
I'm in Hawaii so I'm hoping to make it over in the next year or so. Not too bad on flights both time and money-wise

I was worried for Dauin when I saw the thread title.
I was very curious because I had just finished reading Inquirer on line and there was nothing on fire in Dauin.

ugh. we were supposed to spend three weeks at Bongo Bongo divers last year in Dauin. Guess we're just going to have to wait until next year. Sigh.

Is critter/muck diving particularly what Dauin is known for?

From the perspective of a U.S. diver who's never been to the Philippines, the impression I got reading threads from those those who have has been something like this:

1.) Puerto Galera - fine coral reef diving, seems to be the main 1st timer's destination when diving the Philippines.

2.) Dumaguette - Less structure and coral than PG, more muck diving, also popular.

3.) Anilao - very good for muck diving, but has more to offer.

4.) Tubbataha for the live-aboard lovers.

Beyond those, I see mention of Dauin, Moalboal, Malapasqua, Bohol, Apo Island and the Visayas.

It's hard to keep straight what's-what, in terms of which island is the best match for various diver interests.

Where do you see Dauin in terms of desirability as a recreational dive destination for the U.S.-based diver, compared to the other Philippines options? Is it a place divers go after trying some of the other islands first, or should it rank higher on the list?

Is critter/muck diving particularly what Dauin is known for?

From the perspective of a U.S. diver who's never been to the Philippines, the impression I got reading threads from those those who have has been something like this:

1.) Puerto Galera - fine coral reef diving, seems to be the main 1st timer's destination when diving the Philippines.

2.) Dumaguette - Less structure and coral than PG, more muck diving, also popular.

3.) Anilao - very good for muck diving, but has more to offer.

4.) Tubbataha for the live-aboard lovers.

Beyond those, I see mention of Dauin, Moalboal, Malapasqua, Bohol, Apo Island and the Visayas.

It's hard to keep straight what's-what, in terms of which island is the best match for various diver interests.

Where do you see Dauin in terms of desirability as a recreational dive destination for the U.S.-based diver, compared to the other Philippines options? Is it a place divers go after trying some of the other islands first, or should it rank higher on the list?
You summed it up about right, but Dumaguete and Dauin are the same dive spot. Dumaguete is the provincial capital of Negros Oriental, you'll fly from Manila to Duma, and then it's a 30 minute drive to Dauin, where the diving is. There is little to no actual diving in Dumaguete proper, though the city is very nice for dining ect. Dauin has great much and some reefs, and is also the jump-off point to Apo island, with great reefs (1 hour boat ride, day trip).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom