Dating Zeagle Regulators by SN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looked on the ZEAGLE website but can't seem to find a Serial Number Look up chart or page anywhere to help determine the age of a ZX and envoy second stage.

Any suggestions as to where to find that info?

Call Zeagle in Zepher Hills Florida.

I did, only answer I got was that those SN's were before huish bought the brand in 2012.

I don’t know if such a database exists. If Huish has no record, I don’t think you’ll find one.

I can’t help with the Envoy, but I do have a ZX 2nd stage that may give you a ballpark. H008929 was purchased new in March 2005.

I’m curious, though. Why do you need to know when? Servicing should not be a problem. All the post Apeks regulators use the same kits.

I’m curious, though. Why do you need to know when? Servicing should not be a problem. All the post Apeks regulators use the same kits.

Good question, and it's sort of self answering. While I have no problem using old equipment, I do like to know exactly how old it is. And, I'd like to be sure I get the right kits on the odd chance these regs are not post apex. Finding history on the Zeagle brand online is spotty at best. So, I'm hoping folks here might have some back alley route to it.

I can’t help with the Envoy, but I do have a ZX 2nd stage that may give you a ballpark. H008929 was purchased new in March 2005.

Looks like the ZX starts with a K and the Envoy starts with a J. Do you think that would reliably indicate they were made after 2005?

Good question, and it's sort of self answering. While I have no problem using old equipment, I do like to know exactly how old it is. And, I'd like to be sure I get the right kits on the odd chance these regs are not post apex. Finding history on the Zeagle brand online is spotty at best. So, I'm hoping folks here might have some back alley route to it.
All you may need to know is pre or post APEKS, from my experience “pre” is much less common, “post” all take the same kits, both stages which includes the F8 (a really good reg) and as far as I recall the same parts (second stage of the F8 has a few different parts but not normally changed parts) if you have any pre F second stage the make a “breathing improving kit” with an improved poppet(?) and a more flexible diaphragm, overall excellent regulators no matter when they were made.

...if you have any pre F second stage the make a “breathing improving kit” with an improved poppet(?) and a more flexible diaphragm, overall excellent regulators no matter when they were made.

When you say "pre F" do you mean pre F8 or something else and if something else, how would I make that determination?

Taking it a step further, How would I be able to determine if the "Improvement" parts have already been put in during a past overhaul?

When you say "pre F" do you mean pre F8 or something else and if something else, how would I make that determination?

Taking it a step further, How would I be able to determine if the "Improvement" parts have already been put in during a past overhaul?
Yes meant F8, typo. The F8 is different for
parts but not service kits.

Looks like the ZX starts with a K and the Envoy starts with a J. Do you think that would reliably indicate they were made after 2005?
I would think so. And the Apeks era Zeagles are really rare. After Zeagle switched to making their own, they offered a buyback for all Apeks era regs as they couldn’t rely on getting service kits any more. I believe that was in the late 90’s.

A Zeagle shop should be able to tell if it’s a Zeagle era, or Apeks. Pretty sure the Envoy didn’t exist in the Apeks era. Not 100% sure about when the ZX came about, but it’s been around for a while. Mine came with a DS-IV labeled first (actually an early DS-V) which shares naming with an Apeks first, though mine was Zeagle made.

Oh, and that “breathing improving kit” that Lexvil mentioned actually came out a bit earlier than the F8. I have a Flathead 7 with a Z second, and that one came with the kit already according to my LDS. I did have the shop convert the ZX, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom