Datamask Update (Care and Feeding)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilton

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I wanted to post an update on my experiences with the Datamask since my original postings five months ago. Since my initial review, I've dove with it about fifteen more times, all in southern California.

In my initial review I mentioned that it's perfect for "low light" situations. This was written after taking it into the Bonne Terre mine, and although this statement is true, it implies in some ways that it's not good for "normal light situations." I've dove with it since then in bright situations (including today), and my experience is that the visibility of the HUD is fine for normal situations. I've found that in some really bright situations (ie, direct overhead sunlight or less than 10 feet of water) I need to cover the mask with my hands, but these situations are a small percentage of my typical dive profile. I've dove frequently since then (including today) and have consistently been able to monitor my safety stop time, without needing to cover the glass.

I also mentioned that I couldn't get the Datamask to sync with the software. Today I reread some old postings and learned the "trick". The "trick" is that after inserting the connector into the mask, you have to push the connector towards the glass until it clicks. It wasn't very obvious for me, but now I know. I've since downloaded all my dives and am happily reviewing all my old dive profiles The software Oceanic provides definitely needs a GUI update, but I'm happy to have resolved this problem.

One of the other concerns I posted about was the fear of losing the Datamask. I had originally posted a plan (and a request) to build some type of lanyard system to ensure it won't be lost, but in hindsight, it's a pretty dumb solution to a problem that resides with the diver. The solution is simply: "Don't lose your mask!" It applies to all users of all masks, everywhere. I have to admit that with the Datamask, I've become more situationally aware in order to protect it -- I'm much more cognizant of my buddy's fins and when, in doubt, I raise my forearm to my forehead -- but this is just one of a litany of good diving practices, and it applies to all situations, not just when wearing the Datamask. So to close this issue out, I won't be building lanyards, I'll just be a more careful diver.

I wanted to post this note because I brought up these [subjective] issues as big problems in the past and after using the Datamask for a while, they're no longer relevant to me. These were my initial thoughts, and after using the mask more, I felt it worthwhile to update my initial review.

I'm approaching the end of my writing endurance, so I will close with a high note that I'm super-excited about. I'm in an Advanced Nitrox class and today I took the Datamask to 150' on the Oil Rigs off the Los Angeles coast.

The HUD and computer performed beautifully during this dive. Everything I needed was right in front of me. I had [obviously] pre-programmed it with my Nitrox mix and since it was monitoring my air, I had nonstop, instant knowledge of my NDL and ATR levels. I never had to check my gages until 80', when I switched gases, and had to start handholding my stage's SPG. I know it's hard to quantify the value of a HUD, but in qualitative terms, there's no turning back.

So, my next two questions for Oceanic are: (1) when will the Datamask support gas switching, and (2) when will it support multiple bottles?

Thanks for reading this review,
Wilton

thanks for the great review, I am considering buying the mask. I have read a lot of negative reviews and haven't heard to much of any good things about the datamask. I am pretty sure i will get one eventually, there are problems with all computers, but hopefully i will like this one the best!

I have had my DATA Mask for 8 months and made about 30 dives with it and would hate to dive with out it. There is a little learning curve like put it on a little low because it will raise a little and having a sidelite on only one side feels a tad bit funny at first and the download trick but once you get used to it what else could you ask for, all of your info is always right in front of you. If you can't tell I like mine a lot.:crafty:

I did my first 4 dives with my DataMask during Labor Day weekend. I love it. Gustav was in the Gulf. The current stong and swells were 3 to 4 feet. I was dodging waves of dinner plate size jellyfish on my safety stops. But I didn't have to struggle to see my computer.

I have had problems with manually inputting data into OceanLog. However, the download from the DataMask went fine.

as i was saying before i am considering buying a datamask. However, my only problem is the price. My question to all of you is...how important is the transmitter. Is the only reason for it to have the air supply readout? I was finding that it alone costs $300 and you can get the mask for $895 w/o it. Might as well have it if you're going to buy one i know, but would anyone recommend saving the money, i'm sure i'll end up getting it with it, but i was just currious.

I had the same thought. I really didn't want to spend over $1000 when my analog gauge works just fine. But, to get the full benefit of the DataMask, you need the transmitter also. So I finally broke down and bought the set. I'm glad I did. The computer helps me out with tracking and planning my nitrox dives.

It's only money, right? :D

haha, yeah it's only money...but my wife did just say that i can get it, so no more issues..haha..i know terrible i have to ask. jk. that is a lot of money that. I plan on getting it before my dive this weekend, hopefully i'll get to have some fun with it! i'm looking forward to it, i have high hopes i, so i'll let you know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom