Datamask for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cireson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I have the Oceanic Datamask. Since purchase I have been told it was not a great purchase for a new diver and that the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt was the way to go. I am finishing up my certification and would just like to get everyone elses opinion on the matter.

That just doesn't make sense, I cant understand why someone told you that. I have a Datamask and love it, you have all the information you need all the time. Unless you dont like the datamask I would advise diving it!
The Cobalt is a nice computer but research it, it has had some issues.

Stay wet my friend!!

For a new diver I see they might have one of two concerns:

1) They cannot see the data you're being presented, i.e. air pressure.
2) Their shop is an Atomic Aquatics dealer and they didn't make any money off your Datamask.

Welcome to Scubaboard.

I don't see the issue, assuming the mask fits properly and you know how to use it go for it. It's the same as a wrist/console computer the info is just in a different location.

I'd thank them for their advice and promptly ignore it unless they could give me a compelling reason as to why I should not use it, none of which I can think of.

Recommending you drop $1200 on an Atomic sounds sketchy. Let us know how you get on. Good luck with your certification.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have played around with the Datamask(only in the pool though, but loved the ease of having the information there in front of me. Makes since especially in my opinion since I am new to diving that I have the info there in front of my eyes. I hope to be certified when the water warms unless I can wrangle up the cash to go to FL and finish. Thanks again everyone..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom