Datamask / computer mask advantages disadvantages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been checking out datamasks. They are quite expensive. Other than price, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a datamask instead of a regular mask and computer?

Piggy backing a question on yours:

How do these masks work for people with near vision problems?

Advantages- all your dive data is right there, even your tank pressure (radio transmitter), pretty much hands free. You may have to push one button to switch screens, but that's all. Even with the data screen right there, it is not too distracting for the dive.

Disadvantages- It is a VERY high volume mask. It takes me 2-3 full breaths to clear it when it is completely flooded. The only other thing I'm not crazy about is that it only comes in 1 size & although that size covers a wide variety of face sizes, I can say that it just barely fits me. I really wish they'd come out with a slightly smaller size. I have also found out that it is a little more difficult to equalize my ears when diving it in cold water. I'm right handed & because of the location of the computer, it makes it difficult to get your thumb & index finger into the nose pocket with thick gloves on.

Other than that, it's a great mask & computer.

As for being nearsighted, most people can still see the displays just fine. Most people (even those with macular degeneration ("old person's eyes") are usually quite pleasantly surprised) I'm sure there's a point where one's sight might not allow you to see the displays, but it would have be a VERY strong prescription. You might try one on at your LDS or from a friend. If you can see it trying it on, on dry land, then you'll be able to see it underwater also.

Advantages- all your dive data is right there, even your tank pressure (radio transmitter), pretty much hands free.

Do you find you are more conscious of the dive data because it is hands free?

I ask because, personally, as a an instructor/guide, I have to admit I almost never consciously check my own instruments (except to model behavior*), because I am so focused on the customers gauges. And I am never diving a place where I do not already know my depth by the landmarks. I wonder if I am actually unconsciously keeping track of things. It would be good to have an HUD to see if my impressions of depth and air remaining are actually right.

The other thing that could be nice is if you could get cutomers data to show up in the mask.

*I am always curious if, when I pantomime checking gauges, I am actually registering what the gauges say, or whether I am just making sure that my pantomimed gestures register on the student/customer.

Do you find you are more conscious of the dive data because it is hands free?

I ask because, personally, as a an instructor/guide, I have to admit I almost never consciously check my own instruments (except to model behavior*), because I am so focused on the customers gauges. And I am never diving a place where I do not already know my depth by the landmarks. I wonder if I am actually unconsciously keeping track of things. It would be good to have an HUD to see if my impressions of depth and air remaining are actually right.

The other thing that could be nice is if you could get cutomers data to show up in the mask.

*I am always curious if, when I pantomime checking gauges, I am actually registering what the gauges say, or whether I am just making sure that my pantomimed gestures register on the student/customer.

To answer your questions, yes, Yes, YES. I love my datamask. Datamask is goood. I am much more aware of the data. It's right there, I don't have to reach down and grab the computer, or in the case it is mounted on my wrist, physically raise my arm to look. It is right there. I spearfish, the mask allows me both hands free. I've been told that you can enter additional transmitters to monitor others pressure.

I love mine!! I wouldnt have anything else! The information on the screen is like looking at a big screen tv, yet, if you dont look down, you dont notice it. Its very nice to have all of your info right there for many reasons. With students, you never need to take your eyes off of them, yet you can see your depth and air with no issues....Your hands are free for students, and not grabbing your gauge.

If your a photographer, and you start following that shark or turtle, you can focus more on following, while still know your depth, pressure, and change in actual bottom time.....all without moving your hands from the camera!

I havent noticed any issues with clearing the mask, even when doing mask removal, one blow and its cleared.

It is a bit big, but you get used to it! It is hard to see things from your right, that your used to seeing with other masks, you have to turn your head more to see instead of using pereferal vision...but again you adapt. THe positives, in my opinion, far outweigh the negative issues I have with the camera. For what I do, I LOVE IT!!!! And with my Fiancee having a transmitter for her computer, the buddy check works great!

Used Once in the pool:
https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2388

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom