Dangit, Dangit, Dangit!!!! + some good news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Time after time I try and stress how demanding and how stressful being a PSD can be. Especially on a team as active as we are. You need to have a way of venting and getting rid of the stress and not let it affect the rest of your life.

We are down to 8 members (we are authorized 10) and have no hope of increasing that number in the near future. A big percentage of the Brass and Operations Division have been on the team in years past and will not return because of the demands.

Today we are down to 7. Our only female has dedicated 8 years to the team but has had enough. She turned in her gear today. That sucks, as she was a good PSD.

On a good note, County Waterways has a boat I have been after for years and they wouldn’t give it up. Now they want one of our patrol boats that none of us like and have looked for places to sink it. So it looks like a trade is in the works. We will have our own dedicated Dive Team boat and SS platform that will travel with the unit.

Basically the boat is a miniature “Mike Boat” all aluminum with an outboard. The bigger one they have looks the same but has twin 454 with Mercrusiers, which we don’t need.
Here is one on the same lines: http://www.almarboats.com/2004/content/commercial.php

So, good news and bad news in the same breath.

Gary D.

Sorry to hear about your loss, its tough when you lose a member of your team, sounds your a dwindleing rather low, how many of you are on duty at a time?

Always nice to get a new toy! But I gotta tell you must be nice to have a boat that you don't like more than the others enough to sink it, our SAR unit depends on a members boat and boats ran by the SO :11: Weonly wish we had one of our own!

Gary D.:
Time after time I try and stress how demanding and how stressful being a PSD can be. Especially on a team as active as we are.

Gary:

Sorry to hear about her dropping out. I really think the key is just how busy you are. I am absolutely amazed by the number of calls you get. It takes quite a while to adjust to this diving and then many times people drift away. In many cases, it is due to a lack of activity.

Hopefully you will be able to recruit some others and get them in training.

Good luck with the boat!

Dan

Gregoire:
Sorry to hear about your loss, its tough when you lose a member of your team, sounds your a dwindleing rather low, how many of you are on duty at a time?

Always nice to get a new toy! But I gotta tell you must be nice to have a boat that you don't like more than the others enough to sink it, our SAR unit depends on a members boat and boats ran by the SO :11: Weonly wish we had one of our own!
We work normal patrol shifts so sometimes there are three of us on while other times just one or none at all. The one's in detectives work M-F days. They don't schedual us around diving just patrol.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
We work normal patrol shifts so sometimes there are three of us on while other times just one or none at all. The one's in detectives work M-F days. They don't schedual us around diving just patrol.

Gary D.

Do you have the dive team on a pager system also? Saw your drawing of the boat, looks like a nice setup. We would like to get something along those lines, shoot we would settle for a partybarge! anything big and stable to dive off that has the room to store all the divers and gear without sitting on top of each other :D would be no good for rescue but usualy by the time we get there it's recovery mode anyway.

Gregoire:
Do you have the dive team on a pager system also? Saw your drawing of the boat, looks like a nice setup. We would like to get something along those lines, shoot we would settle for a partybarge! anything big and stable to dive off that has the room to store all the divers and gear without sitting on top of each other :D would be no good for rescue but usualy by the time we get there it's recovery mode anyway.
We are on a Alpha System right out of dispatch. They can hit any one of us or the entire team. When I post a callout I put the actual page in the post.

We can use them for private use but only numbers from outside of dispatch. Dispatch has to type any messages.

As far as the boat goes it looks like it will handle ten to twelve divers with ease w/o the SS on board. With it on the deck four or five in comfort.

She is a rocker so we are going to go with a sea anchor system off the sides when we're anchored. The're easy systems to build and operate.

I'll try and get some pic's of it tonight if it stays slow.

Tonight we had no divers on swing and I'm the only one on graveyard. Four will be on during days tomorrow but that includes detectives.

Gary D.

We have the same Alpha pager system, but our SAR coordinator and a few of the seinor members have a program to send out text pages also. Whats the status on the SS? You got the boat, time to buy!

Gregoire:
We have the same Alpha pager system, but our SAR coordinator and a few of the seinor members have a program to send out text pages also. Whats the status on the SS? You got the boat, time to buy!
The boat should be confirmed tomorrow and the SS specs go out on Friday. We are looking at two tow fish. One light for hand held, up to 30 meter operation, and a heavy Stainless Steel one for 400 meter operation. Both will be 600mh.

Getting very close and we are getting excited.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom