Dangerous gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmer fudd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just over in the Basic Scuba section reading the posts about the diver with older gear that was getting back into diving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...k-diving-after-20-years-what-do-old-gear.html
There were a few "that old stuff is dangerous, replace it all", type replies, but most respondents basically told him it was still fine and that he should just get it serviced.

This brought to my mind a question though. What gear from either the past or the present really was dangerous and shouldn't be used? I know Fred Roberts condemned the homebuilt doublehose regulator conversions in Basic Scuba, but certainly in the past 60 years of diving there must have been a few real lemons produced.

So what gear was out there that was badly designed or built and that they couldn't pay you enough to dive?

Go underwater. Breathe. Consider your ability to dump and surface. Gear is gear.
If it is old take it apart and reassemble. Regs are not all that high tech. Pretty basic. If you are not comfortable taking apart and reassembling regs tnen buy new.

EDIT: Ok, not dangerous but really bad design are the old single hose pivot seconds. They are dependable, just bad breathers. Basically though, you are only looking at three points of action. If they work, they work.

I've rebuilt a few old regs before and even fabricated diaphragms and seats for them, so I know a little about them. My current project reg is a Blue Label Healthways double hose. My question is more to the point of what designs were just plain bad to the point of being unsafe? I'm talking about the scuba equivalent of Yugos and Trabants.

That's the type I'm working on. I've just got some exhaust issues with it. I think I might try to make a plate to introduce some venturi action to it as well.

How's the diaghphragm? I got a silicon replacement from one of the real serious guys off of vintage divers. Don't think he is making anymore, but point is they can be fabricated. And it is worth it if you can keep them going, they were Navy Issue in the 50's.

It's stiff and crinkly, but still functional. I'm just waiting for VDH to come out with their silicone replacement, that's supposed to be available very soon.

Poor designs IMHO:
US Divers AquaMatic
Any of the upstream needle valve second stages from several manufacturers

Scubapro pneumatic yoke pressure checker (not the one similar to the MK-6 yoke, but the slamming one).

Also poor design, not unsafe, just poor design:
US Divers Deepstar-II (the first Deepstar was fine)

The first Healtways DH exhaust system

The first US Divers dog bone style back pack with rings on the shoulder straps. It was very difficult to put on.

Caravel fins

Farallon ankle brace fins

Many other fins from the past and present.

Many plastic second stages like the early Sherwood (and several others) that notorious for cracking. Most of the plastic second stages are much better, but some are still susceptible to cracking.

These are the ones to come to mind right away. I am sure there are more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom