Dandriga, Placentia or Turneffe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're doing a family trip later in the year and likely will end up in Ambergris Caye (as well as the ruins in western Belize). So, I'm planning a solo trip for, probably, late August, during which I can dive for three days, as many dives as I can fit in (but less on the third day to accommodate dive-fly limitations), and want to go somewhere other than Ambergris Caye.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether Dandriga, Placentia or Turneffe might be best? And, which dive ops and which hotels/B&Bs might be best at particular sites? I don't need a "leading hotel of the world", but do want indoor plumbing, a/c (if it's necessary), and such basics.

If you can do Turneffe, there is no questions about where you should go. On a three dive day trip, its hard (but not impossible to do).

If your family dives, Turneffe is still a great place. Truly a luxury Giligan's island experience.

Another possibility is to go to Tobacco Caye. A range of accommodation from very cheap upwards, right on the reef, and well placed for diving southern Turneffe (which is where the Elbow is), southern Lighthouse Atoll (superb diving) and Glover's Atoll. I haven't dived Glover's but from what I hear it is probably the premier dive location in Belize, and not over-crowded.

Just got back from 16 dives out of Hamanasi resort in Hopkins. GREAT resort to dive and relax around. AWESOME food. Very sleepy small quiant village of hopkins 5 minute bike ride away, only 1500 people live there.

We dove both Glover and Turneffe, and was my second time back to Belize. Actually the outer atolls were quite blown out, groan, oh well only 30-50 foot viz due to tons of rain. The inner fringe reefs off of Southwater Caye was quite fine, and only a 1 hour boat ride instead of 2.

May I recommend also recommend you check into Caves Branch resort inland at the Cayo district for jungle adventures.

Go to tobacco caye. Slightly more rustic ... but dead center on the reef. Your "check-out" dives will be better than most peoples $100 dive trips.

Ask about shark cave. 1000% better than the friggin' Blue Hole.

You can see my pics of my April trip here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toppshelff/

Excuse the other sets of pics and click on "above water" and "below water" for the appropriate picture sets.

Good luck.

P.S. REEFS END LODGE! You'll understand if you take my advice and go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom