DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clancy_s

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm Australian and in a couple of months will be diving at Marsa Shagra for a few days. We have regular travel insurance, but not specific dive insurance at the moment (don't need it for diving at home, haven't been OS for a while).

Do we need DAN dive insurance for diving in Egypt?

Thanks! :)

Needing it is subjective. We did a liveaboard in the red sea (blue o 2) and they required documentation of some type of dive insurance. Im not sure if it was a blue o 2 requirement or the Egyptian agency that regulates diving in the red sea.

There were certain other requirements by such agency (every diver carry a SMB, no night diving at certain sites).

Email the folks you plan on diving with.

Have fun, I am envious of your trip!

Its always a good idea to get insurance , whether it through DAN or other organization.
In Egypt , god forbids something happens, you will need insurance otherwise your financial costs can rack up very quickly.

The more respectable liveabords and dive centers usually request a documentation of some sort to see that you are in fact insured but a lot of them dont really care, they have this "if something happens its your problem" attitude.

If you needed a chamber the Egyptian authorities will require payment before you will be allowed to leave the country. Your choice whether to have insurance or not. The has been at least one diver incurring over US$60,000 in chamber fees - evacuation from the dive site was extra - over the last few years. They relied on their credit card insurance, whom refused to pay as they hadn’t followed PADI’s guidance (their certifying agency) to the letter.

I've never been bent and hardly been diving at all, but from what I understand:
- the symptoms of DCS are easy to confuse with other ailments
- chamber rides are expensive
- because of the above, many divers delay getting treatment
- getting treatment promptly gives you the best odds of a swift and full recovery
So I personally plan to always have insurance, if only so I'm not as tempted to talk myself out of seeking treatment for some unexplained aches that might be nothing, but might be DCS.

I'm Australian and in a couple of months will be diving at Marsa Shagra for a few days. We have regular travel insurance, but not specific dive insurance at the moment (don't need it for diving at home, haven't been OS for a while).

Do we need DAN dive insurance for diving in Egypt?

Thanks! :)
It is a cheap addition to the trip cost, with VERY high potential payoff.

Back
Top Bottom