DAN Insurance Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I live in Thailand. For the past ten years I've had dive insurance through DAN Asia Pacific. The cost was 90 Australian Dollars per year for a family membership that covered both me and my wife. That's about US$68.

I went to renew my membership today and found out that I have to change my region and get membership from DAN World. If there's a family membership option there I can't find it. It seems I have to buy separate memberships for my wife and I at US$100 each.

In other words the price for the two of us has gone from $68 to $200. I realize that there has been inflation, but 300%.

Am I reading this wrong, or is that the way it is?

I just got mine and my wife’s today and it was only $100 for the family membership. I am in the US. So maybe it’s different there? Possible you missed something though.

Here's my current membership:

MEMBERSHIP: Overseas Family
AUD $90.00 is inclusive of applicable taxes and duties.

The process of moving from DAN Asia Pacific to DAN World was convoluted and confusing. When I first went to renew I got this message:

Your residential address must be Australia. If not, then due to recent changes, you need to join DAN World. Follow this link to sign up.

Then when I got to the page where you select options there's just this:

screenshot 2022-08-31 at 11.18.43.jpg

Nothing at all about family membership.

Moving on from there all of my personal data and contact information was transferred from DAN Asia Pacific to DAN World, but nothing about my family membership nor any of my wife's personal or contact information.

I tried to call them to clarify, but was told to leave a callback number. Five hours later; nothing.

I just got off the phone with DAN and they acknowledged that there is no more family plan for DAN World members. And, they agreed that the price this year is three times what I paid last year.

They did agree to refund if I send a written request by email.

Yes, expensive but just once incident can pay for years of insurance. My wife and I went to Peru on a non-dive trip using Dan Insurance. As a result of an unexpected strike by rail workers we had to re-book flights at a much higher cost, stay in less expensive hotels than we paid for, make many expensive cell phone calls to replan, pay for extra ground transportation, and pay for out of plan meals. We incured a lot of additional expense to replan our trip at the very last moment. Dan reimbursed us over $1,500 to cover ALL of our additional expenses. Thank you Dan. Plus, they conduct research to support the SCUBA community. I highly recommend using them.

PS This was many years ago; so, check Dan's current coverage policies. Also, keep good records of your trip itinerary, expenses and receipts. We had full documentation of all of our additional expenses which simplified filing a claim.

They tripled the price. There’s no way to justify that.

Last year I paid. 90 AUD (60 USD) for my wife and I. This year they want 200 USD for the two of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom