Dacor Tiger Fin problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all:

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any trouble with this style fin with the rubber seperating {tearing} from the plastic were the fin pivots by the eye holes.

I have a pair in which i bought last Oct 2001 and used them for about 5 or ten dives and both {rubber} tore completely in half. It looks likes poor quality material used. The rubber actually crumbled in my hands.

Also another problem with these were within the foot pocket ,the yellow plastic in one area cracked. Can't figure it out!

I bought these from Leisure Pro and sent them back with their authorization. Still havn't heard from them about the warrenty on them.
Was also wondering how long are the fins covered by warrenty.

Thought i pass this info along for other divers to beware of.

I wonder if these HIGH TECH fins by Dacor are worth it.

If i half to spring for a new pair of dive fins , it won't be these.
If anybody have any comments, please let me know.

Safe diving to you all............:(

Garfish,

As was discussed in another (similar) thread in this forum, 1st generation Dacor Tigers AND 1st generation Mares Volos suffer from a manufacturing defect in the hinges.

This was corrected in subsequent manufacturing runs.

You should have no problem getting a new pair of fins from your vendor.

Personally, I have dove a pair of Tigers for about the past year in various conditions (fresh, salt, current, etc.). IMHO they are great fins.

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner
Garfish,

As was discussed in another (similar) thread in this forum, 1st generation Dacor Tigers AND 1st generation Mares Volos suffer from a manufacturing defect in the hinges.

~SubMariner~
Yeah...and if they were purchased from Leisure Pro there's a good possibility they were from the defective 1st generation too because Leisure Pro sells grey market gear and who knows when and where they got the fins from.

Hi SubMariner:

Thanks alot for your reply. I must of mist the topic on the Dacor Tiger Fins on this forum.

I didn't know about the problems with the first generation tiger fins. Boy, i'll agree that they are assum in the water. I dived with them and and they had all kind of power.

Like i said in my last statement that i bought them from Leisure Pro and as i speak i have no new fins to replace them. It's been over a week and so far no word.
Oh well, if Leisure pro does not take care of me, i'll buy elsewhere for equipment.

Well anyway Sub, take care and "Safe Diving" to ya.....

Hi GP:

Yes, your probably right. Although i did get a great price on them.
Will be interesting to know if LEISURE PRO will stick to their word.
I'll keep you all posted about this topic. Hate to see another fellow diver be in the same situation as myself.
Safe
diving to ya.......

I have been told by a reliable source that the way to tell which generation your Tiger fins are is to look at the serial number on the bottom.

Number ends in A = 1st Generation (the problem batch)
Number ends in B = 2nd Generation

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

Tx for the inside scoop SubM. Does this apply to Dacor Panthers as well? How do the Panthers compare to Tigers? Panthers are going at ~$100 pair vs $150 pair for Tigers? Tigers worth a 50% premium?

TM, I would tend to steer clear of Panthers.

Not only is there is a significant design difference between the blade of the Panther vs the Tiger, but I personally know two people who have had the blades craze/crack after use in heavy current. IMHO this goes WAY beyond the hinge problem!

If you are truly interested in this type of fin, stick with the Volos (Mares) or Tigers (Dacor).

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

I certainly don;t mean to offend anyone who owns a pair, but I owned a pair of Panthers and they were simply the warst pair of fins I have ever dove with. My wife got a pair at the same time I did and hated hers as well. The Tigers and Volos are much nicer material and design wise.

In my opinion the Panthers were made to "look" like the better fin and that is it.

SubMariner: Good to know to see if the manufacture through Leisure pro will replace them with the 1st gen or 2nd.

I still can't believe that a expensive fins like the tiger would completely fall apart like it did. Even the plastic foot pocket CRACKED! "UNBELIEVABLE"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom