Dacor regulators model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Datura

New
Reaction score
Hi,
Could anyone tell me what model this Dacor Pacer is? It was bought sometime around 1998.

20161031_121400.jpg

I have only used it a few times. Should i think about buying a new one?

Last edited:
unsure of the model, but it is highly likely that parts are unavailable for it anymore after the buyout.... It's a perfectly fine regulator and if parts were available there would be no reason to retire it, but I don't believe they are available anymore

most shops won't service dacor regs even if there are trident parts that fit. if you have some sentimental attachment and want to service them yourself, there are options, but otherwise you're better off getting new regs. not really worth the effort imo.

Looks like a Pacer 360 to me, but I'd have to see the side of it. They were a true workhorse and last forever, but as stated, I wouldn't work on one and I'm (was) a certified technician and I have all of the books. Problem is, when you start putting aftermarket parts in regulators, you take on the same liability as the manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with the console or computer, throw in some batteries and put it on a new regulator and go diving.

I think there may be nothing wrong with it at all. I was hoping just to get it checked out, and if it was ok, to use it. Do you think it would necessarily need new parts just from the picture?

depends on the last time it was serviced. Rubber parts wear out over time, especially when it isn't used. With almost 100% confidence I can say it needs a full rebuild. If it hasn't had a service in over 2 years, and hasn't been used in just as long, it needs a full rebuild. You can take it to a dive shop and ask them to check it over, but it needs a rebuild

depends on the last time it was serviced. Rubber parts wear out over time, especially when it isn't used. With almost 100% confidence I can say it needs a full rebuild. If it hasn't had a service in over 2 years, and hasn't been used in just as long, it needs a full rebuild. You can take it to a dive shop and ask them to check it over, but it needs a rebuild

You have no way of knowing whether or not it needs a rebuild. And BTW, two years sitting is not very long for a regulator. Rubber parts last just as long, actually longer, in storage than they do in use. The idea about them deteriorating rapidly when not used is BS. It's probably something that dive shops keep propagating to justify the dumb annual service requirements.

OP, it might need an adjustment, it might be fine, or it might be junk, you won't know until you test it. Put it on a tank, leave the valve turned off, try to suck some air through both 2nd stages. No air? Good. Turn on the valve, listen for leaks. If you don't hear any hissing, submerge the whole thing in a bathtub and look for bubbles. No bubbles? Good. Buy or borrow an IP gauge, put it on the LP inflator hose, make sure it's stable between 125 and 150 PSI. No creeping up? You're good to go.

If it leaks or you can draw air with the valve turned off, or the IP creeps, then it's time to get it worked on. If one of the 2nd stages leaks a bit out the mouthpiece, it could just be a very simple adjustment. A big vacuum leak, hissing from the 1st stage, or IP creep means a definite rebuild and might spell death.

I was going by the fact that it sounded like it hadn't been serviced since purchase. That's pushing 20 years. I wouldn't trust the rubber parts even if it passes the first checks because you are on borrowed time. I don't believe in the service intervals, I do mine every 5 years or if they ask for it by some sort of failure, whichever comes first. Lube doesn't last forever, and they need to be cleaned and relubed. I may reuse the parts that are in there if they are in good shape, but they have to at least come apart to get relubed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom