Dacor R4 has a heart beat now...ETA um, it's an R3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubseaSports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had a basket case R4 that I have let sit for a couple of years now because both diaphragms were crunchy. Well, actually 3 because the HP diaphragm was shot as well.

Thanks to @James79 I have a new main diaphragm. I have cut and punched a new HP diaphragm out of EPDM. Only buggered one up, so I am ahead. I think it turned out well.
The LP seat was very hard. So, I thought about making a seat that I would be able change easily. I removed the old seat and flattened the dome on the lever. Then, drilled a hole in the lever. I turned a LP seat pocket and pressed it the hole. Undecided if press fit is enough [very tight fit] with the post on the other side melted. I have another one cut that I plan on threading and using a nut to retain. This will pressed fit as well.
The downside to new seat is it closes the gap between seat and orifice. I will have to turn the lp orifice down a bit. Lathe is down at the moment, so should have it done next week. Worst case, I can remake the original one if I have problems.

20211212_132314.jpg

I will post some later....more problems dagnabbit.

I keep referring to the reg as a R4, but it is an older model. Demand lever mech is different yet simple. The new diaphragm will not work as is. I made an adjustable extension on the lever to reach the diaphragm plate. The original diaphragm is pleated and semi flush, not domed so there is a gap.
Also, my lathe is down but I turned the lp orifice by hand as I am very OCD about wasting time. It's just a small piece of brass, not like it's SS.
Managed to get it all assembled tonight. Works well....hopefully splash with it next couple of days.
Unless I find something else that I overlooked lol :banghead:.

Don't change this much I glue it in with some sort of contact glue

0053a.JPG

@Julius SCHMIDT that's what I don't have, and what I wound up making, of sorts.
I edited the thread title, as it is an R3, not an R4

dial.jpg

Picture of the lever with lp seat that I made. The one on top is the one I plan on threading. I lost the original seat, but the lever had a concave pocket that the lp seat was glued to...the back of the seat was convex. I think I have the terms right...lol. I flatted and drilled a hole in it to fit the new lp design.
20211213_095110.jpg

Next problem was the lp orifice, which had to be shortened due to the added depth of the new seat.
20211213_095057.jpg

Next crisis was the demand lever height. There was no way to bend it to reach. I came up with a quick temporary solution of closing the gap, with adjust-ability.
Flattened the bump on the lever added a dog-leg bend, drilled and installed a ss 6-32 bolt with a jam nut. I polished the head to reduce friction. The head of the bolt is the same diameter of the bump on the original lever.
20211213_094845.jpg

I have tested it on a tank and all is well. I suspect the IP is low though. I will need to make up a captive shim to fix if necessary.
Just need to glue the seat and put everything together. Hopefully test tomorrow or so.

So, there are differences between the R3 and R4 HP diaphragm as far as I can tell.
1. they are hard to find
2. there seems to be additional holes by the LP orifice hole as seen in this link to The Scubamuseum. Also, slightly larger diaphram spring/bolt hole as well as LP orifice hole. The R3's are 1/4". Main retaining bolts look to be the same.
3.Of course, I am assuming the main body is the same between the two models, 2.36" diameter.

I may have to pick up a newer model to figure it out. I have made the tools to cut this effectively on a drill press if anyone is interested.

New HP diaphragm, 1/8" EPDM Rubber.
20211213_111720-removebg-preview.png

Managed to test it at local swimming hole Royal Springs on Tuesday.

It breathes a bit stiff compared to other units like Mistral and Healthways SCUBA. Like I posted earlier, I believe I need to up the IP and work on the demand lever. With this twin set, the can is placed in a pretty optimal position, so that is not the issue.

I borrowed the hose set from the Mistral.
All things considered, I am happy with it.

20211214_131430.jpg

Well, I have some down time so...back at it.

I made a couple of different shims of to see what would happen. Settled on .020" as anything thicker vented. What is the IP? Dunno. At some point I will make a tool to thread into the LP side, but that's for another time. To me, there is a noticeable difference in flow now.

wash.jpeg

Next, I modified the demand lever to achieve more surface contact with the new diaphragm than the bolt head I had used before. Made from some 3/8" brass tube I had. The bottom has a flat now and is snug. There is a chance for movement, however I think it is unlikely. I do not consider this permanent, just more testing.

barrel.jpeg

Here you can see the shim I made installed. The retaining lip is protruding up a bit flush with the lever plate [I don't know what else to call it]. Makes for easy installation once it catches the lever plate and it keeps it from 'walking'.
lip.jpeg

Hopefully I will be able to test soon.

Managed to test it at local swimming hole Royal Springs on Tuesday.

It breathes a bit stiff compared to other units like Mistral and Healthways SCUBA. Like I posted earlier, I believe I need to up the IP and work on the demand lever. With this twin set, the can is placed in a pretty optimal position, so that is not the issue.

I borrowed the hose set from the Mistral.
All things considered, I am happy with it.

View attachment 696155
Nice setup! I put the tank(s) lower in the bands to make it easier to land the can in the sweet spot on my back. Might be why it's a little harder breathing, maybe a little too high? @James79 is the best! He's helped me more than once!

@AfterDark thanks. The bands in the current position is optimal. This is my go to set of tanks.
I also use a Mistral, DAAM, and my all time favorite Healthways Gold Label with this setup with excellent results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom