Dacor/Mares Pacer 2 first stage slow leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Every year I get my regulator overhauled, but it is not lasting a year before the first stage starts to have a very slight leak. i get it overhauled, the problem is fixed, then it comes back, usually about 10-11 months later. The unit is three years old. Is this a design defect or what? I had it overhauled three months ago and for about a minute this slow leak came back, but has not returned since so the shop can't do anything with it unless it is leaking. The air leak is coming out of the small holes under the black cap of the first stage. Is the piston weak, or what? Any suggestions?:idk:

There was a regulator that was designed to have a very slow leak at the first stage. I don't remember the make or model, but that was in the mid 1980's. Anyone else remember this ?

There was a regulator that was designed to have a very slow leak at the first stage. I don't remember the make or model, but that was in the mid 1980's. Anyone else remember this ?

Sherwood

Sherwoods are the ones that "leak" so that's not the issue. Unfortunately, Dacor called a bunch of regs "Pacer" which included both piston and diaphgram regs. Post a photo of it with a "leaks here" arrow and maybe we can come up with an idea. The first thought I have is...did they actually overhaul it or just clean and lube it...Dacor parts are hard to come by these days.

Here are two pictures. It was overhauled; they gave me back all the old parts. It is a piston type, and has not leaked at all for the last two dives since they checked it. (When they checked it it would not fail for them, so they did nothing. ) As I said before, it's only about three years old. I guess it was a closeout and I didn't know it. (I bought it mail order from a shop in Florida and it came with a BC) This shop I use sends it out, but so far has no problem getting the parts and not charging for them.

---------- Post Merged at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 AM ----------

H Dacor Mares Pacer 2 regulator.jpgDacor Mares Pacer 2 leak.jpg Here are two photos. (Dacor/Mares second stage free flows too easily too.)

Hi there,

The 1st stage appears to be an MR 2. If that is the case, the parts are not hard to come by. I will say, that this Piston (unbalanced) 1st stage is considered quite entry level. The Piston 1st stages are actually quite simple 1st stages. Resorts like them quite a bit, because they last a long time, and are very easy to service with few parts. In a rental department that makes for a very functional reg. The downside is they are not sealed to the enviornment like a balanced diaphragm 1st stage. The results lend to greater possibility of outside enviornmental issues to have a greater influence on longevity of performance. I can't diagnose any products over the internet, and can only recommend you perhaps try another dealer, although it sounds like the lds you are working with is servicing it properly, it's just not lasting as long as you would like. Also, I highly doubt there is a problem with the piston. could be orings, or ??? again, can't diagnose over the internet. Maybe next time if occurs, and you have it serviced, ask them specifically to save the orings, and try to determine exactly what is causing the leak?

I hope this helps.

Zak

The only thing that I could add would be the possibility that there could have been some damage from the tank falling over with the first stage attached and placed the body just slightly out of round, just enough that it functions properly with a new rebuild but with a dynamic O-ring, as it wears, it could develop this very small leak. Don't know, just saying I've seen this before. Many things are possible including the fact that you dive a real lot! Hopefully! LOL

It's never been dropped. Also, I was told all regulators are balanced, and they have not build an unbalanced ones for many years. Perhaps I was given incorrect information? (I was not told this by the shop that's been overhauling my reg. I've never asked.) It is a easy breathing unit, but I've been diving since 1975 so I'm used to relaxing and breathing normally. And you are right; I dive weekly, which is a lot. They do save the old parts, so we will take a look at them next time it's serviced.

From the manuals I have, looks like a D2. In any case, it's a flow by piston so there are just 4 things that can cause that leak. A bad oring (2), a defective piston (scatch on the sealing surfaces) or scratches in the main body or piston chamber (end cap). A lightly scratched surface will cause the symptoms you descirbe. When new and well lubed it will seal but as it wears slightly and the lube is squeezed out of the scratch, it will start to slowly leak. If I had to guess, my bet would be on a piston stem scratch under the Oring, it's a easy place for a careless tech to scratch a piston while removing the small oring on it. You are not likely to find a replacement piston but it might be repairable...problem is you will need to find a first class tech, not the normal run of the mill parts swappers most places have.....or do it yourself.

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:35 PM ----------

It's never been dropped. Also, I was told all regulators are balanced, and they have not build an unbalanced ones for many years. Perhaps I was given incorrect information? (I was not told this by the shop that's been overhauling my reg. I've never asked.) It is a easy breathing unit, but I've been diving since 1975 so I'm used to relaxing and breathing normally. And you are right; I dive weekly, which is a lot. They do save the old parts, so we will take a look at them next time it's serviced.

Who ever told you that don't have a clue.... ALL flow by pistons (with the exception of a few Sherwoods) are unbalanced. The Scubapro MK-2, the lower end Sherwoods, Aqualung/US Divers Aquarius, Seaquest Mirage and a host of others are all unbalanced flow by pistons. They are inexpensive but rock solid regs which is why many rentals use them and they are still sold. It has been a good many years since unbalanced diaphgram regs have been made but this isn't one of them and if a shop doen't know the difference, RUN from them.

The shop tells me the O rings were bad and replaced them. They found corrosion inside the first stage, and much of the chrome gone. They did not charge me to replace the O rings since they had the unit overhauled by an outside vendor about four months ago. They said salt water got into the regulator and it can't be completely fixed because Mares no longer makes parts for the Pacer 2. The corrosion was eating away the O rings. They cleaned it as best as they could. They said to buy a new regulator, though I could use this regulator for a while until the slow leak comes back. I got a "wet fill" about a year ago in Monterey which put wet, rusty particles in my tank which got into my regulator. Everything was cleaned out, but I did not notice it for a couple of months. The tank was not rusty, but had loose rust in it. I'm not too happy because I had no idea this regulator had been discontinued when I bought it. Too bad Mares does not have a trade in policy. By the way, someone in my dive club told me all regulators were balanced, no shop did.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom