Dacor Extreme Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Servicing this mint condition Extreme Plus and thought I would share parts breakdown, as despite threads to the contrary, this beautiful reg remains eminently serviceable.
20221021_160306.jpg

O‐rings are standard AS568
The HP seat is an A212 from Trident
The environmental seal is the only irreplaceable part, but if it fails, you can try punching a disc from sheet silicone and adding the umbrella valve back, or just leave it open and make it an unsealed reg.

Dacor was way ahead of its time.
Replaceable HP volcano, o-ring'ed sliding cylinder instead of a diaphragm and lots of brass to make up for those foot-heavy Jet Fins :wink:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221021-144004_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221021-144004_Gallery.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 91
I sold and serviced loads of this regulator in the 90's and early 2000's. I was a big Dacor dealer until they went out of business late 90's. Interesting concept but it just didn't work.

Well, this was the most restoration fun I've had in awhile!
A mint, never-dived Dacor Extreme Plus outfitted with two Pacer XLE 2nds (one also new/ mint),
and a Dacor Extreme (almost new) outfitted with a mint Dacor Extreme balanced 2nd!
20221108_125655.jpg

All regs breathing at 1.1-1.2", and the first stages increase IP with tank pressure. They have an ahead-of-its-time piston that pushes the pin to open the valve, instead of a diaphragm, along with an (admittedly delicate) environmental seal.
20221018_133714.jpg

The Trident aftermarket seat shaft was 0.1mm too large at its very end, and needed some hand work.
20221107_151958_1.jpg

And the Extreme 2nd needed a custom seat punched, because the originals are long gone.
Gotta love RTV and sheet silicone!
20221020_181012.jpg

But it's all working, and I think @Couv might be jealous of the chrome, although there are (admittedly) way too many parts for his taste. :wink:

You can see why they went bankrupt between the parts count, amount of machining required, and raw material costs.

Did all this cost and complexity result in better performance than contemporary regs?

although there are (admittedly) way too many parts for his taste
My first thought also, so many O rings.
Reminds me of the service I did not long ago on one of these for the hell of it [ I still have boxes of parts ].
Not "bling" like the Decor, and well done on the service and photos, where do you acquire this gear?
Wish I had taken photos when this one was apart.
IP a solid 9 Bar and no creep.
20201010_084741.jpg

My first thought also, so many O rings.
Well in fairness to Dacor, that first photo in Post #1 had double the required o-rings. I had the old ones there as a check against my new choices.
Sorry 'bout that!

I use those old chrome second stages primarily for my pony bottle. Seem to work well, very tough and the cracking effort adjustment is so crude (and simple), but you have no frozen/corroded orifice problems.

Any idea on the weight of the first stage? It's even shaped like a hammer.

DACOR liked big first stages..

Check out the Olympic from just pastand also the 960...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom